tecfidera users. urine tests?

I never had any urine tests when on tecfidera. Just bloods…have you guys tested both or just blood? I’ve been on it since October. Katy

Hello again Katy,

Hope all okay

I get urine test, just dipsticking my urine with my bloods, my MS nurse likes to call it a “wee MOT”

Jools

X

I had my first blood test on Monday as i had been on Tecfideria for a month. I also had to take a urine sample for the dip test.

My next blood test is in 3 months and i have to take a urine sample as well.

I’ve been on tecfidera since September. No urine tests - just blood tests. I wonder what the urine test is for.

Urine dipstick testing is quick, easy and cheap and tied in with blood tests adds another angle of health checking for infection, if any kidney issues, presence of blood, protein, sugar, good to do especially when on long term meds.

Jools

X

Urine dipstick testing is quick, easy and cheap and tied in with blood tests adds another angle of health checking for infection, if any kidney issues, presence of blood, protein, sugar, good to do especially when on long term meds.

Jools

X

Started Tecfidera at the end of December. My neurologist had order monthly blood tests for six months. All I was told about the first results is that I’m slightly anaemic so for the second lot, I’m having bloods done for iron levels, renal & liver function and a full blood count. My MS nurse has also asked me to have a urine sample dipped for protein be done at my GP’s surgery.

I joined a Tecfidera support group on Facebook last week and people are talking about their lymphocyte counts. No one has told or warned me about this. I had a dreadful experience on Gilenya and switched to Tecfidera because I thought it worked in a different way and didn’t interfere with your white blood cells. Also people are reporting increased fatigue, hair loss and weight gain. None of this is in the literature provided. I think I’d have switched back to Rebif if I’d known all this.

It was always made clear to me that lymphocyte reduction might be a variable that would lead to the conclusion of Tecfidera not being a good drug of choice. Consequently, i have blood tests every three months.

Indeed after the first three month period, my lymph was down 50% (to a level of ‘low normal’).

I also piss in a pot. I must admit that i don’t know why. I could ask, but then i figure there is plenty more where that came from and so… meh.

As for hair loss… i swear my legs have gotten hairier. And weight gain… well i have changed my diet quite significantly around the time of popping the Tec and so i cannot say one way or the other. My mass appears to be unchanged though.

My fatigue is worse.

I have definitely lost more hair than normal.

I’m finding it virtually impossible to lose weight despite doing a low calorie diet that’s worked in the past (I previously lost nine stone)

I’m on the sixth week of Tecfidera. I have my second blood test next month, will be interesting to know the lymphocyte level.

A gluten free diet can cause weight loss. There are gluten free alternatives but many are quite expensive. I’m on a gluten free diet but the foods I eat are by default gluten free. I don’t buy many gluten free alternatives.

I’ve been on tec for over 10months. My lymphocytes dropped to 0.7 but apparently this was normal around the 6months period. They have since gone up a little bit are still low. In not one bit concerned re PML my bloods are monitored regularly so there’s no cause for alarm. There’s a fab Facebook group whose admin are joint UK and US so gives a great place to get informs from Americans who’ve been on it in excess of 2-3years but with a UK focus.