Tecfidera - any alternative to porridge/peanut butter?

I am currently on day 3 of Tecfidera 240mg twice a day (my 1st attempt around 6 weeks ago was horrendous - unimaginable stomach cramps which made me want to die honestly).

As a result, I had gone back to 120mg twice a day for 1 month, then moved up to 240mg once a day for 1 week, and now I am on day 3 of 240mg twice a day.

I have been having porridge in the mornings then taking Tecfidera then a slice of toast with peanut butter, which I think is working for the stomach cramps.

Problem is I hate porridge so it takes me a while to get through a bowl as I have to force it down. I’m really trying but I just get angry some days, so I was wondering if there is a good alternative to porridge?

If not, then I will trying to get through 1 more week or so of the porridge.

Hey - I struggled at the start too and also got really frustrated with eating things I didn’t want to just to try and calm side effects. In the end I just decided to eat normally and for me it seems it doesn’t matter so much what it is I eat, just that I eat something and the amount. So maybe try something you enjoy rather than the porridge, but try and make it the same sort of amount? X

1 Like

Hi, when I was taking tecfidera I sandwiched the meds between 2 crumpets with marmite (& cheese if I was feeling extravagant)! I tried various cereals too. I’d just try different things, but I guess mentally (let alone physically), you are likely to have more success if you are eating something you enjoy. Good luck.

Hi there. It is difficult to get your stomach used to taking Tecfidera but you will, in time. My MS Nurse suggested always having fat and protein based food before taking a tablet. So for example I’ll eat a full fat yoghurt and a slice of cheese or ham for breakfast and a balanced evening meal before taking my second dose of the day. It took a full three months to get used to it, but it’s been two and a half years now and the only times I get the stinging skin rash is when I don’t pay attention to what I’ve eaten. That’s my fault and not the medication! I wish you all the best x

2 Likes

Hi @Cookiegirl

After months of trying with this drug, I think I’ve finally adapted, thank god. I found the most important thing is making sure my tummy is full before taking the pill.