Tearful, scared and cross about it all...

Hello everyone

it has been a long time since I have written on here and I hope everyone is well. I guess

the reason I am writing this is because of all the above.

8 weeks ago I started relapsing and as per my usual response to that,

I kept on working through the numbness and fatigue (I am a chef) for a good week or so

and then it all changed. Suddenly I couldn’t walk, horrible banding including the hug was numb from chest to feet and very off balance

with double vision. I was admitted to hospital, had 3 days of i.v steroids

and was allowed home after 10 days. The pain is now much less but the tight spasms are still going on.

Anyway the reason for this post is my walking and leg strength. Walking makes my legs tight

and feel massive in size, very odd and I have fallen off things from sitting

3 times and each time my numb feet won’t let me grip and I have no strength in my legs to push myself

off the floor and I have to be picked up. I feel so embarrassed. What happened to my strong legs in 6 weeks?

Has anyone else had this during a relapse, did the strength

come back and how long before some of this gets better?

I am soo fed up and tearful at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice

A xx

Hello Amanda.

I’m very sorry to read about your relapse. I have PPMS so have less knowledge about the other types of the beast. Firstly, I have such admiration for people who carry on working; especially in a job like yours requiring fine motor control and lots of standing up. My symptoms finally got me four years ago.

I can relate to the walking difficulties though. It can be disheartening to have such a sudden and dramatic effect like that.

Only time will tell, I’m afraid. You obviously need the rest. I knew someone who’s mum was a chef with RRMS and there were times she just had to stop everything, even at home.

I wish you all the best. Steve x

How long to get your strength back? How long is a piece of string?

I know that answer sounds flippant, but with RRMS there is no simple answer. My first relapse (right side numbness from head to foot) lasted about two months. My worst relapse (trouble with talking, manual dexterity, weakened arms, difficulty walking) lasted about nine months. I was given oral steroids for that one, hated the side effects, not sure how much good they did.

All I can say is that the relapse will clear up in its own good time. It won’t clear up any sooner if you worry about it, probably the opposite. I’ve never had MS hug, so I can’t comment on that. If you fall when sitting, take care with your posture and the way you sit to try to reduce the risk of falling. Its likely that you will get your strength back, but nobody can say when. Take things easy, get plenty of rest and don’t push yourself to go back to work before you’re strong enough.

Thankyou for your replies, I feel much better about it today.

I have to learn to just sit it out, relax and just wait.

A xx

Hi Amanda,

I’m glad to see that you’re feeling better. It’s always a crappy day when everything seems to conspire against you.

You’ll know a lot about nutrition in your work but it’s always a good idea to keep your system topped up with high strength vitamins B,C and D, especially now winter has arrived. Ask you GP or pharmacist for professional advice.

I get a yearly blood test done to check that the drugs aren’t affecting my liver and kidneys. I’m going to to ask to look out for any vitamin deficiencies next time.

Regards,

Anthony