Stop being a chicken and trust yourself!!!

Help, I have just been invited to apply for a major training course which is weekly for two years and would be a major feather in my cap!!! But in the back of my foggy brain I keep thinking is it to much for me to mange? I would still be doing three nights a week nursing ang one day a week at uni. As some of you know my MS is quite under contol and things are really good. Is this a step too far?? My mad side says just apply and do it my sensible side says studying again is tough and I will really have to pull it out of the bag. Plus sides more money, doing something that I love, better job secuity, better quility of life for my family once more money is coming in. Minus sides, unpredictablity of the animal that is MS, Oh I hate this bloody disease. Sorry for the moan but I need some encouragement. I want to specalise in neurology and this is a real step in the right direction.Laura x

hi laura

you should go for it.

the world needs neurologists who really understand ms.

i understand your hesitance but if it proves too much and you have to pull out at least you’ll have tried.

good luck

carole x

I was asking the same question when I was diagnosed, doing psychology degree and having a part time job until then and was offered full time. My ms is also quite under control, I get tired more than before, but I went for the job and still doing my degree pretty successfully and doing some volunteering. My view is that although it is part of my life now it won’t stop me living my life to the full while I’m standing on my feet! The future is unsure but doing what you love and makes you happy can only make you feel better mentally, which makes you feel better physically. And sod ms:)

enjoy it while you can. go for it - what’s the worst that can happen? As my gran used to say - “Better make hay while the sun shines!”

Hi Laura,

I do not think it’s “being a chicken”, and although I do not want to deter you, I think it’s only wise and sensible to give some thought to your workload, and how you would cope with it, knowing that it’s a heavy and long commitment, and you are already ill.

I think only you know whether it’s realistic or not, but you are wise to consider this before you start, and not just press on regardless, ignoring your illness.

I’ve got to say, three night shifts a week AND a day at university, for the next two years, sounds heavy to me - heavy for a healthy person, let alone with MS.

I’m sure I wouldn’t manage it, although I suspect I’m quite a bit older than you.

Is there any room for compromise on the work hours? Might you be able to reduce to two nights a week, or even just five a fortnight (from six), or would the hit be too big financially?

Do work know you have MS, and is it also them putting you forward for the course? If they are in the picture, I wonder if they have any suggestions for making it more manageable for you?

Tina

Hi Laura, I would say go for it.

Try and arrange as much ‘down time’ as poss and make sure you rest during those times. Be prepared for social life to take a backseat.

OK so MS might rear its ugly head and you won’t be able to continue… but it won’t be a failure… you will have tried your best and it will not be your fault if you cannot continue.

If you don’t try you may regret it and if your MS stays under control you might kick yourself for not giving it a go.

BUT if you decide NOT to go for it, don’t see that as a failure either. Decisions we make with MS can’t be compared to decisions in the non-ms world.

Best of luck,

Pat x

Hi Laura

I tend to agree with Pat - think about how you can manage your work/studying and looking after yourself and be strict about not taking on too much. If the course leads to greater job security, increased pay and opportunities in the future those are very real benefits which might mean that you can reduce your hours or choose better hours or work in the future. Good luck - I’d go for it too,

Bouncy x

You have had a lot of good advice, Laura, so I will keep mine short:

If you think that you can handle it - go for it.
If you want to do it - go for it.

And a little story:
As a PhD student, I was assigned a group of undergraduates to tutor - and my very first group included an unusual young(ish) lady. OK, so this is going back a few years, but still … …
She had Cerebral Palsy (not MS, I know, but not very nice). English was her 5th language (yes, that’s right,5th). She was Hungarian, brought up in Romania, in the old days of the “Eastern Bloc” she was taught Russian. As a foreigh language, she was taught German. Finally, she got to England, took A-levels in English, got accepted at a University and got a BsC in Psychology. She went on to another Uni and got an MSc in Reseach Methods. Then she got a job at the Medical Research Council in Cambridge. On a good day she could get about on a tricycle and by walking (bouncing off each side of the corridor). On a bad day she was in a wheelchair.

Are you that bad?

Geoff

No geoff I am very mobile and doing the bath 1/2 marathon next year all being well. I have the interview tomorrow the first of many and I if they want me I am going for it!!!

Thanks everyone!!! First interview tommorrow. AAAGH Deep breath and sell myself!!!

good luck lollypop!

Way to go, lollypop!

Geoff

Good luck x