Stiffness

Hello,

I’ve just read a number of posts about fatigue. I definitely do not have that problen but there is another one. I always feel very stiff, worst when I wake up. I do exercises to try and keep me supple especially my legs but its definitely getting worse. I can no longer run or take stairs two at a time. My hamstrings are getting tighter and my thighs just generally ache and that is all the time. Does anyone else get incredibly stiff and have you any solutions?

Thanks

~Patrick

Hi Patriclk,

Same as you, I get very stiff calves - can’t run etc. . Take baclofen and do stretching exercises given to

me by physio. Good one is to stand on the edge of a stair facing the stairs (bottom one for safety) and shuffle to your toes.

The weight of your body will stretch your leg muscles. Either both feet together or one at a time. Hold for count of 30 relax then repeat.

Other one is doing lunges -pushing legs out to the back one at a time.

Good luck, Jen

Hi,

Yup take Baclofen already, essential as is Gabopentin. Standing on the stairs sounds good but my balance is very poor. I will try it out anyway.

Stiffness, its horrible, worst is in the morning after a good nght’s sleep

Thanks for that,

Patrick

Hi, yes I get this, and I too take Baclofen and Gabepentine, but I have to keep increasing my dose, my physio supllied me with a roll to place under my knees when I go to bed this is to help stop the legs getting stiff in the night it does help a little, and yes I do exercise when I can, not much help, sorry, take care, Jean x

I’m afraid to say that this is essentially all part of having MS! if you find a solution and share it you will have many eager listeners :slight_smile:

Hi Patrick, stiffness is my worst problem, my balance is also very poor. As to stiffness, yes it is worse when I get up, that’s one of the reasons I’m not keen on long lies, the longer I am in bed the worse I get so better to get up and get going! I find it hard to step into the shower first thing in the morning (a shower is the first thing I do every morning) and my husband helps me, yet later on in the day if I am cleaning the shower I can step into it ok on my own. My stiffness is always there to varying degrees, I take sativex which takes the edge of it and takes the tight feeling out of my legs but sativex makes me high so I don’t take it when I am working or driving. I didn’t get on with baclofen, it makes me too sleepy. Cheryl:-)

Hi Patrick

Have it also I try to keep mobile but like you it is getting worse , also medication for MS only made me like a rag doll and it made me fall more so no more medicines . I hold onto the stairs amd try and get something to hold onto on the flat but like what has been said any cures very welcome

trish