STANDING TOO LONG HOW DOES IT AFFECT YOU

Yup, light headed, tummy starts to feel funny & eventually feel like I want to keel over. Helps to move around a bit and I do a lot of leaning on stuff too. Laying down helps.

Think it’s called othostatic intolerance. Lots of fluids (especially in hot weather) and now add sea salt to my food when I’m craving something salty.

Mags

I get the same symptoms with my legs, my back is a bit dodgy too. I’m glad we had this post. So many people with the same issues. Thanks Jean Frank.

thanks to everyone for you’re replies, it would seem that we all have similar symptoms and it’s so good to share and realise that we’re not on our own, take care, and enjoy the weekend, Jean x

Hi Jean Really interesting post : ) I was dx in June. I cannot walk as quickly as I used to ( I could run two miles a year ago it is sooo frustrating!) you tell yourself to speed up and it just doesn’t happen. My legs luckily are not painful just wobbly and i stagger into a lot of clothes rails! I have to stand sideways in a queue because if I stand still too long my knees buckle and I end up staggering backwards. I recently discovered at physios that if my feet are together i just fall backwards, really weird! My pain comes from round my middle if I try and over do it…which is nearly always…so many shops so little time! Lol : ) Mish x

Hi Jean - similar to others! Try to get out of house every day to walk a few yards down the lane, but dread meeting any neighbours as have to stand and talk. Wonder why walking should be easier than standing…

Reading through all these posts I find so many are similar to my own experiences.

One thing I’ve noticed since getting a scooter and w/chair is that I can stop and gossip till the cows come home because I’m sitting down. Before I had to make my excuses after a few minutes chat because I couldn’t stand for long. It’s great!

Jane

Hi Mish you mention if you stand with you’re feet together you fall backwards, I fall to the right, which is my worst side, also I can’t do the toe to heel test again I faal to the right, take care, Jean

My right is my worst side too and no I can’t do the heel toe test either. When neuro got me to try that I fell to my right. Not that you go around trying to walk a tightrope all the time… but how did I not know I ouldn’t do that any more! Ah well, this MS lark does cause weird side effects doesn’t it. No more circus dreams for me! Lol Mish x

My right side is my worst too and no, I can’t keep my balance on the heel to toe test, I only found out at the physio. As for the tight rope I’m not bothered, I can’t stand heights anyway lol!

Suex

it would seem the circus is out for all of us, lol, take care all, Jean x

I can stand for about 10 minutes before I start to wobble and become very weak in my muscles. I can feel the muscles in my lower back giving up and I have to fight to stop my upper torso tilting forward. My legs become dead weight that I cannot lift or bend and the best i can do is shuffle, stilt legged to the nearest chair.

Sometimes, when I have made a particular effort to keep standing and moving about for longer then I should, I notice my eyes become a little more blurry through exertion.