So many symptoms

Hi, I’m looking for some advice please. I’ve been suffering from drop foot with numbness in my leg and foot for the past 5 months. Physio is not making the slightest bit of difference. Now my lower are and fingers are tingling and I have pins and needles from to to time in my hand. I keep biting my tongue when eating and my voice he’s changed to a deep raspy sound. I sometimes got overwhelmingly tired where even if I’m in the middle of a meeting I just can’t stay awake. I’ve even had to pull over while driving to take a nap.
My gp asked me if I wanted a nerve conduction test to which I have agreed. My question is…am I over reacting in think these symptoms could be MS
So great evil to anyone who reads this and even more for any kind response.

Hi Netty,

It sounds like your in the same boat as me. I haven’t had the drop foot (well at least I don’t think) but the numbness and tingling your describing sounds very much like mine. I currently have it in my right hand, arm and armpit. Also my right foot, basically most of my right side from my shoulder down!

I am also suffering with mild eye pain and slight blurred vision but again very mild, but pretty much constant headaches. I have had one mri which came back with the high chance of ms! Got another mri today on my spine to hopefully get answers and then treatment. I know ms can’t be cured but can be managed.

I’ve been reading so many stories on here and no longer feel alone. I can’t be of much help as I am still not officially diagnosed but so many other people here are. We are all here to help each other :blush:

Hello Netty

Yes, of course your symptoms could have been caused by MS, but equally they could be caused by other diagnoses.

By all means, follow up your GPs suggestion and have a nerve conduction test. This isn’t precisely a test used to diagnose MS, but it could make it clear that there’s a nerve related issue.

What your GP might be better doing is referring you to a neurologist. Right now referrals are taking a very long time (in most areas), so getting the ball rolling might be more useful to you.

A neurologist can do a complete neurological examination which will probably tell an experienced practitioner what is likely to be the cause of your symptoms. This would possibly tell them more than a nerve conduction test.

Then again, it may be that what you’re experiencing isn’t neurological, your GP clearly thinks there is a neurological problem, hence the nerve conduction test.

I suggest you think back as far as you can, write yourself a diary of what’s happened and when. Keep notes of when symptoms began, how long they lasted, whether they completely resolved or not and if the same effect happens again.

You could take this diary (or a slightly shortened version given the normal time allotted per patient) to your GP and repeat your last appointment. Ask to be referred to a neurologist maybe as well as having a further physiotherapy session to talk specifically about foot drop.

I’m suggesting you talk expressly about foot drop because once it’s properly set in, foot drop is very difficult to be cured. It’s usually caused by damage to the peroneal nerve (the specific bit of it that when you move your weight as if to move, it signals your foot to pick up your toes.)

There are a lot of different types of ‘orthotic’ device to help foot drop. From rigid support ankle foot orthoses (AFOs) to simple nylon and elastic Foot-up and Boxia devices (see (removed by moderator) both of these can be bought from that online superstore that has a name like a major South American river!). Also there is the Functional Electrical Stimulation (aka FES) which can be obtained on the NHS in most areas but not all. Your physiotherapist should be able to give you specific advice about aids to help with foot drop.

Best of luck.

Sue