sister living alone

Hi, My 73 year old sister has MS, whilst relatively dormant for the last 40 years or so, it now seems to be getting worse, in that she has pain in her feet and cannot walk very far. She also has diabetes, is overweight and her diet is not good. She has this week (after some gentle persuasion from me) agreed to give up driving after a second minor accident. I am her brother and I live 60 miles away from her. She lives alone in a bungalow but is now quite depressed and I feel she needs more help with her condition and perhaps someone to talk to who has more experience of it than myself. She is not known to local social services, despite having worked in this area for many years. She uses a home help for cleaning but has no one else going in other than occasional visits from neighbours and friends. I visit when I can but I have other commitments so its not easy for me. I don’t think she would ask for help herself hence my visit to this forum. Can we get some help from the MS society and does she need to consider moving into some sheltered accommodation or similar? I am worried about her and think the next thing will be a fall. She lives in Bridgnorth, Shropshire.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

you need to contact her GP and explain what is going on. S/he will set the ball rolling and get the different agencies involved in helping your sister.

The pain in her feet could be due to neuropathy caused by her diabetes if it’s not controlled properly. Better diet and some medication to help the pain will go a long way to helping her.

1 Like

Hi, I am sorry to read of your sister`s difficulties.

If she is fully compus mentos or as the Social Services say…has capacity, then it will be up to her to say/agree to any help or a house move.

I would suggest, as Horsemad has said, that maybe you could speak to your sister`s \gp.

Boudsx

Thanks to you both for the replies, I have been with her to see her Dr and she is being treated but isnt a very good patient as she doesnt always do as asked!

I will continue to support her as best I can.

Hi

You can also refer directly to Social Services with her permission though i can appreciate why people are reluctant to agree it. Obviously if not compliant with medication etc then social care cant manage this unless of course its to do with ability to manage it. In terms of housing, you can make direct referrals sometimes online or there are often Disabled housing organisations that can help. Not sure re the area , apologies. Other practical things such as food delivery (Wiltshire Farms) for better diet , home delivery shopping etc for her if not able to get out