Shoes

Hello

I have found that slippery shoes are much easier to walk in with my foot drop, as anything with rubbery or large grips will catch as I walk.

I got around this by buying leather-soled shoes that were suitably slippery.

So far so good, but I have been house-bound for the last five months and my feet have gone too soft and the leather shoes are too stiff and heavy, and hurt like hell.

Are there any other men out there who have the same problem, and who could recommend some light slippery shoes?

thanks

Bernie

1 Like

Another angle might be to find a solution to the foot drop problem. The remarkable fes is worth a look to see if it can help.

1 Like

I forgot to say that I already have a FES but there is still a danger of the foot catching.

Hi Bernie

Have you tried sandpaper on the soles of ‘sticky’ shoes? It might help.

Sue

1 Like

I shall give that a try Sue.

Bernie,

Have you tried any of these products?

I use the first one shown ‘Foot-Up for Drop Foot’ on my right foot and it helps a lot. I am about to add one to my left shoe as this is now dragging. Where I live they are available free through the NHS.

Hope this helps.

Alun

1 Like

Dance shoes and sneakers may be lighter, I can only say ladies are and I would imagine that gents are too, you can get split soles (deliberately split! sole and heel so more flexible) you can get leather and suede soles (which very soon become slippy!), may be more than you want to pay but I carried on wearing my dance shoes until I could no longer wear heels, most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn!

1 Like

Alun, that looks marvellous. Are they comfortable to wear, and light?

Tell me more.

Bernie

I hope you have some success with whatever you try.

I have to tell you now, that when I read Sue’s suggestion of trying sandpaper on the soles my stupid brain insisted she meant sticking sheets of sandpaper to the soles…

It took several hours for logic to fight its way past the MS and let me know she’d actually meant roughing the soles up with sandpaper!

1 Like

I’ve had many foot-ups. In my area, they’ll give you one on the NHS. However, they work by having plastic inserts attached to your shoes (laces work best but can also be Velcro straps) these are attached by elastic to the cuff round your ankle. The trouble is that the elastic doesn’t last plus, as you wear them, the inserts get pulled out from your shoe so ultimately the ‘pick-up’ is weaker.

If your foot drop’s not too bad and assuming you don’t have problems higher up that leg (ie. the knee and the hip need to work right) they’d work for you. Definitely better than nothing. And they are lightweight and not uncomfortable.

The FES is better, but costs more and there’s also a postcode lottery involved. It’s worth finding out if you can get FES in your area, but in the short term go for a foot-up.

Your physiotherapist ought to be able to sort you out.

Sue

1 Like

l have a few pairs of Clarks Wave shoes - and trainers. They are shaped so the toe is slightly raised - and they have a rocker action so your foot rolls along. Clarks online is great - no postage charges and free returns. This means you can order several pairs to try on in your home.

I tried the Waves which work well but when I do catch my foot the grips stick and I get a bigger risk of falling.

With a FES - l find it best to sit down and place the pads - and without plugging in the footswitch - l set it on exercise mode. This way l can see where the pads are best placed. l try it out to see if it raises the toes well without turning outwards or inwards. Over the years - l find it does not always work with the pads in the same place. Needs a bit of tweaking. Fine tuning!

Have you tried the ‘test’ button, does the same thing ultimately. I had used the system for about 6 months before I was told about that! And I’d never noticed it.

Sue

What kind of work boots do you have? Can’t find smth comfortable…

Oh, I know what you’re talking about. I’ve got plantar fasciitis, and it’s truly challenging to find work boots that can give me good help support. Typically, these boots will have deeply molded heel cups that will provide you with a lot of cushioning. It’s a pity that there are only a few boot makers out there who care about people’s comfort. Anyways, I ordered my work boots from (removed by moderator)some years ago, and I’m more than pleased with their quality. They’re specifically crafted to ensure that the natural movement of your foot is adequately supported and have maximum flexibility. You should definitely try them.