Shingles

Hi all. My mother in law went into hospital 2 weeks ago and has come out with shingles :frowning: Does anyone know what the chances of me getting it are. I am pretty confused by her care home… they warned me I might not want to visit as I could get it. I have PPMS… bad enough she’s got it just before Christmas, but I want to visit her but selfishly I don’t want to be ill…

Hi Lady moth,

When my eldest granddaughter had shingles my MS nurse told me not to visit her. I’m sure your mother in law will understand.

Best wishes,

Nina x

There is medication for shingles if you catch it in the first five days, so if you (or anyone’s) suspects the may have it don’t delay in seeing your GP.

Jan x

1 Like

Well I had shingles a few years back and my understanding was that you cannot catch them.

As you probably know, it’s the chicken pox virus which, after we’ve had chicken pox as kids, lies dormant in our systems and is activated when we are stressed or the immune system is compromised.

Conflicting advice… so if I were you I would phone my GP and ask.

Better safe than sorry… but your GP should know.

Pat xx

Hi all thanks for your replies… more info needed. Think I’ll go to the GP Monday. Thanks x

1 Like

Hi All I hope you are having a nice weekend.

I just googled and copied this…

Is shingles contagious?

It is not possible to catch shingles from someone else with the condition, or from someone with chickenpox.

However, it is possible for someone who has never had chickenpox to catch it from someone with shingles, as the shingles blisters contains the live virus.

In the UK, chickenpox is so common during childhood that 9 out of 10 adults have already had it and will not be at risk from someone with shingles.

Catching chickenpox

The blisters that develop as a result of shingles contain virus particles. If you have not had chickenpox before, you can catch it from direct contact with the fluid from the blisters of someone who has shingles, or from something that has the fluid on it, such as bed sheets or a towel.

If you have shingles, you are contagious until the last blister has scabbed over. This will usually occur after about 10 to 14 days.

Jan x

2 Likes

That’s very useful info Jan.

Good to know.

Btw… I read somewhere that if you rub sensitive toothpaste over the area where the shingles are it helps a lot. The toothpaste has something in it that will numb the nerve ends.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it would also work with general MS itching, burning and what is best described as nettle sting?!

Pat xx

The ones I was prescribed are called Aciclovir. I didn’t take them because I’d had the rash for about six days before I was prescribed them, the Doctor said it was probably too late to start them but he was giving me them because of my MS. My rash was clearing up so I risked it, I have to say I’m not even sure it was Shingles or I was very lucky, the rash continued to clear and I had no further problems.

I’ve still got the tablets, they go out of date Feb 15, I’ll give the back to the pharmacy to dispose of.

Jan x

Hi Pat

reading about toothpaste on shingles blisters reminds me of when my youngest daughter had spots that was her cure. She used to swan about the house her face dotted with toothpaste. She swore it helped.

Maga xx

1 Like

Hi all when my mum had Shingles l had to put eye drops in for her 2 times a day l had not had chicken pox so was a little worryed but l did not catch it my brother caught chicken pox he still lived at home with her, maybe l was lucky l wood ask your dr take care regards Jan xx