sensitive nose?

hi everyone, I am sure I have read this on here before, bur I can’t remember (MS brain!). Is anyone sensitive to smells? I have a ‘hyper’ sense of smells, particularly bad ones. I have never been a sweaty, smelly person but lately I seem to have sweaty feet (which I blamed on my foot up), and as I have urge incontinence I notice nasty smells from this (I have just had my 3rd wash today). I have just gone upstairs, and half way up I could smell sweat from my son. When I went back downstairs I mentioned this to my husband, who went to tell him to have a shower,and he came back and told me he didn’t smell as he had just had a shower! Why am I smelling these horrible smells? Am I alone?

Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

I don’t think you’re alone - I notice smells more than other people do, and my mother (who also had MS) was the same. Also, certain smells will have an affect on me, eg the slightest hint of vanilla gives me a headache. There are a lot of very strange experiences that we all seem to have, but you’re not crazy.

Luisa x

Hi Lynne,

Nope, these things seem to be part & parcel of MS - my smell is very sensitive as well, not to mention my hearing - i hate loud TV with a passion…

Hi, Same here, husband had opened a spice jar in the kitchen and I could smell it 2 rooms away. I’m also very sensitive to noise and bright lights, and With 2 smelly noisy teenage boys in the house life can be hard! Gx

Hi Luisa.

Interesting to read that vanilla gives you a headache, I have the same from the smell of curry.

Don’t think I can blame “MS” though, as I have always had this. I suppose it’s a form of allergic reaction.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

I know its going to be a bad day when I get out of bed and miss the floor, today is such a day.