Self catheterisation

Finally at this point and first “lesson” tommorrow… part of me is really keen to get things sorted as I am struggling the other sort is thinking it’s another “stage” in the journey … anyway …any top tips for fellow ISC users ?

Hi Molly I self cathetise I’ve started recently after having botox it’s not as hard as you imagine, you will get used to it .get as much advise as you can from the continance nurses, I found there help line brilliant. Michelle and Frazer xx

Hi Mollymoo

Sorrry I can’t offer advice, I am still at the point of trying to put self catherisation off, but I wish you all the best and hope it makes life easier for you.

Pam x

Hello

I’ve been using ISC for 6 years (with a 6 month hiatus for a go of SPC).

When I first started, I was using catheters with an attachable bag. I then sat on the bed with a mirror and managed to use the catheter twice per day. There’s no way I could manage to do this now so it’s just as well I managed to switch to doing it sitting on the loo.

In fact, sitting on the loo to ISC is far easier that trying to do it with a mirror. So long as you have a decent idea of where things are that is. It’s a peculiar thing, but until I’d started to ISC, id never looked ‘down below’ with a mirror. So I actually only had the haziest idea of where my urethra opening was and what it might look like!

Once you do have a decent idea of a) what you’re aiming for and b) roughly what it might feel like (assuming you have sufficient feeling) then I’d suggest just giving it a go, sitting on the loo.

What does sometimes help is to make sure the catheter type you are using is the right kind for you, and it’s a very individual thing to choose the right type. Personally, I prefer the catheter to be rigid enough to aim straight in. For me trying to use some of the super bendy catheters is like feeding overcooked spaghetti into a straw. Blindfold. A hydrophilic catheter is also a good idea, that’s one which is made of a particular type of plastic. It reacts with water to become slippery. And within the packaging is a sealed package of water. Examples of these types are Speedicath Compact (also Compact Plus, very slightly longer) and Lofric Sense. I use Lofric, but I also have a sneaky supply of Speedicath Compact because they fit into a handbag better, so I use them when I’m out.

You can get samples of the different catheter types either from a delivery Company like Charter Healthcare or Scripteasy, or from the individual companies.

It’s really just a matter of trial and error. Good luck.

Sue

Thanks all … lesson went well but unfortunately it didn’t solve the problem which puzzled the nurse so now waiting for CT scan and a visit to urologist …