Ring won't come off HELP!

Hi all. I am due to have an mri soon and have been told conflicting advice. I cannot get my wedding ring off due to arthritic knuckle. One friend said it needs to come off and another has said it doesn’t need to come off as it is gold and as such not magnetic. I am sure I will get the correct answer from you good people

Mary

From what I understand a wedding ring is ok to keep on during an MRI scan. If you are concerned are you able to phone the MRI department and ask the staff?

xx

I had this problem myself a while back. I couldn’t get my wedding and engagement rings off so I googled the problem. I tried all the things like soap, handcream, etc. Nothing worked. Then I came across a process of winding and unwinding dental floss. If you search on ring and dental floss, you’ll see how it’s done. Amazingly it worked. I then had my rings stretched a bit.

Sue

I had an mri last week. Told to remove my belly piercing. I totally forgot my wedding and engagement rings. I was told too just remove my bra from under my top and allowed to keep jeans on?! Metal stud fastener??? I mentioned my rings to radiographer after scan, to be told she’d noticed them and they weren’t a problem.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will ring clinic tomorrow and ask.

Mary

[quote=Ssssue]

I had this problem myself a while back. I couldn’t get my wedding and engagement rings off so I googled the problem. I tried all the things like soap, handcream, etc. Nothing worked. Then I came across a process of winding and unwinding dental floss. If you search on ring and dental floss, you’ll see how it’s done. Amazingly it worked. I then had my rings stretched a bit.

Sue

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

As it says on the tin, it’s magnetic resonance imaging. If you can’t pick it up with a magnet, it’s safe to wear in an MRI scanner.

If your wedding ring is magnetic you need to have a quiet word with your husband.

Albrecht

I have never been asked to take off my wedding ring for an MRI and I have had quite a few (scans, that is, not wedding rings).

Alison

I’ve always been stupid. It never ever crossed my mind that gold isn’t magnetic!

Duh!

Sue

I managed to get mine off after some force…but let’s say it not going to go back on…because my fingers are much fatter than when I got married. I told the MRI lady of the ordeal I had to get it off and she laughed saying I didn’t need to take it off. However hubby has said I can get a new one, which is nice as I have 2 girls so they can have 1 each when I’m gone.

Your wedding ring is fine to keep on. Good luck with your scan, Maryxx

as a last resort you can get it cut off by a fireman!

phwoar!! sorry for being sexist but…

Hi, Just give them a call about your concern. What I feel is that you will be ok. I think they will just put some tape around it. Believe me you don’t need to worry at all. All the best, Domestic goddess x

Had a similar thing when I went for carpal tunnel surgery. Had I got any piercings? Yes a nipple one and an ear one. Can I take them off? Not unless you’ve got bolt cutters sez I. So they just put tape over them

You could put a plaster around it no problem