Hi, hope everyone is keeping well.
I posted the other day about needing a stick. I decided to contact the nurse at hospital as I realised that, with each day, I was getting a little worse and if I leave it to progress there is a chance I will not be able to drive which will take away my freedom. I can cope with driving to work instead of walking but if I can’t drive then I cannot go anywhere :(.
The nurse agreed that this was a relapse and faxed over the steroid protocol to my GP yesterday ready for this morning’s urgent access surgery. I obtained a urine container in readiness and phoned just after 8.00 am today for an appointment. The receptionist booked me an appointment for 9.20 but then phoned at 8.55 to say the GP wouldn’t see me as all he would do is test my urine and either prescribe antibiotics for UTI or steroids for relapse which he could do without seeing me. I just had to drop in the urine for testing and they would sort it out. The prescription would be ready late afternoon. So … another day lost! I’m glad I decided not to wait until next week now!
It took ages to pee in the little pot as my bladder is ‘shy’ at the best of times and any extra pressure makes things worse. I drank gallons of water but could I perform? The instructions clearly say I must pee straight into the little pot and not into any other container first in case of contamination. That’s fine if you have a bladder that doesn’t care when and where it goes but mine will not void in such circumstances. When I handed it in, it was still warm and I was then running very late for work!!! (And I did notice that the surgery car park was virtually empty as was the waiting room so why couldn’t I have seen the doctor and started on the steroids this morning?!)
The GP phoned me at lunchtime to say my urine sample was clear and then asked me what were my symptoms and did I have a high temperature etc before he would write the script. If he had seen me this morning, he could have checked my bloody temperature for himself! Grrrrr!! Anyway I will get the steroids and can start on them tomorrow which will hopefully kick this relapse out of touch before it gets any worse so I suppose all is well eventually. I did at least get a follow-up appointment for later in the week to see if I am any better …
In the meantime I am picking up mum’s stick from my dad later and will start practising over the weekend. This of course meant telling dad that I am having a relapse but I am hoping I can persuade him that he should use his own stick a bit more often as he is more stubborn and proud than I am, riddled with arthritis and still hobbling about without a stick!