Relapse...Double vision

Hi everyone. I’m having a relapse at the moment, and the worst part is the sudden onset double vision which is really bad. I’m seeing 2 of everything…awful! I have an eye patch and I’ve started 5 days of Steroid treatment today. I’ve never had double vision before, so I’ve been really thrown by this. Has anyone found that the steroids have speeded up the recoVery from double vision? I’ve read some previous posts which are not very encouraging as it seems to go for a long time or indefinitely. Thanks to anyone who replies.

I had double vision years ag, very disorientating while it lasted however it did clear up completely.

1 Like

I had optic neuritis which caused some double vision. Whether coincidental or maybe placebo, I actually think my vision is better now (took about 6 weeks to resolve, no steroids)

1 Like

I had double vision along with dizziness as one of my relapses. Completely sorted itself after about 6-8 weeks. Xx

1 Like

I’ve had double vision twice both times it lasted approx six weeks and both times I recovered completely. I did have very slight double vision (corner of eye) just before Christmas it resolved after a week.

Like you I used an eye patch but when my vision was fully double, eg one tv hitting the ceiling the other lower down it was easier just to concentrate on one, I felt using an eye patch strained my eyes. So I only used one when I felt it was necessary.

Best wishes.

Jan x

1 Like

I had double vision and nystagmus so not caused by ON but my a brainstem lesion. It was particularly nasty but I recovered after about 6 weeks.

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone who replied. I feel reassured and optimistic. My relapse is due to a brain stem lesion too. The double vision and dizziness is still very bad but I’ve got some coping strategies now. I cover one lens of my glasses with tape, alternating sides every day. This works much better than an eye patch, and changing lens makes less strain on just one eye. I also try to go for periods without the patch, as it does strain your eyes as Jan said above, and yes…I see 2 completely separate televisions too so I use my ipad instead. Fortunately I can see very close up with my other glasses on, so I can use my iPad without too much difficulty if I hold it close enough to me. It always amazes me how resilient we can be when faced with a new challenge. All the best to everyone and many thanks. X

I have had the double vision once as part of a relapse, had loads of tests which didn’t really come up with anything and after 3 weeks or so it went as quickly as it came. Touchwood I havent had it again…

1 Like