Quick question on AMITRIPTYLINE dose

Back on these after a few years of trying other stuff!

GP has given me 25 mg ones to start off… but I seem to remember starting on 10 mg before and working up.

Think I should cut them in half for a few days? (don’t want to be a complete zombie).

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat x

Hiya Pat,

Im on amitryptiline also, started taking 2x 10mg now at night because 1 wasnt enough for my nerve pains and yes im feeling drowsy in the morning now with 2 but they are helping.

You would probably be best breaking it in half if you can do that with them or go back to your doc and get prescribed the 10mg ones. start on 1x for 2weeks and then go up to either 2x after the 2 weeks.

What have you actually been prescribed them for? im assuming aches and pains, back related?

Darren

Hi Pat

Yes, I started on the 10mg and very slowly increased it. I also find if I take it

too late at night, say at bedtime, in the morning I still feel quite zombified, so

perhaps it maybe better for you to take in the evening a couple of hours before bedtime.

Hope they do the trick, take care.

Pam.

Hi Darren, mainly ‘hug’ and pain & spasms in legs. It took me 2 weeks to get GP appointment so I’m not too keen on bothering to go back.

I did manage to cut them in half when weaning off them before… takes a sharp knife and steady hand… but will give it a go.

I do think 25 mg is too much to start on. She’s also given me a drug for acid reflux with instructions ‘one at night’ when the user info says clearly ‘in morning before breakfast’…

You have to be your own doctor in NHS world!

Thanks again,

Pat x

Hi Pam, oh thanks for reminding me… yes I used to take them in evening so I could wake up in morning!!! Had forgotten that…

Hope you’re doing ok.

Pat xx

No worries Pat, I know its a nightmare just to get an appointment with a doctor usually but with my doctor I phone up at 8 in the morning and sometimes get an appointment that day, try that the next time.

I also know what you mean with pains and spasms, Iv had pains which I know are ms related but the doctor thinks its all wear and tear that anyone can get so hes referring me to a chiropodist lol I know for a fact these are nerve pains connected to my ms. mainly in my back, elbow and heel its so sore and annoying.

I would phone up your chemist in reference to your acid reflux tabs to find out exactly when to take them, I would assume 1 first thing in morning, but better been safe than sorry.

Good luck

D

I was put on this a couple of weeks ago. Was started on 25mg with no mention of starting on a lower dose. Thankfully I was ok and no adverse effects.

If you are worried I would do what the others have said have cut in it half for a few days.

Good luck x

Hi Pat,

I started off on 10mg then increased to 20mg and feel slightly zombified in the mornings.

Buy yourself a tablet cutter - safer than a knife - only about £1 in chemist or supermarket pharmacy section.

Jen x

I had no idea such a thing existed! Thanks for info Jen,

Pat x

I’ve been on 50mg for the past year, great with spasms, no pins and needles… bit like a zombie in the morning, but definitely worked… Only thing in the past 4 months have been having awful nightmares, so changing to pregabalin…good luck they do work but you just need to get the right dosage, its trial and error really… x

Hi there, I am on 10mg at night for nerve pain in my hands, it seems to work for me and not too shattered in the morning, hope you are well. xx

Hiya Pat

I work on having mine 12 yrs before you need to get up and the effects seem to of worn off by then.

I am lucky that I have very vivid dreams but they are never nightmares.

I would of been floored taking 25 as a starting dose but I guess everyone is different,I always like to start low and build up slowly with any tablet though as smaller doses of everything seems to work for me.

I started omeprazole as the Gabapentin gave me non stop heartburn. I take it first thing in the morning and I know it is still working during the night as I drink alot due to the dry mouth but no reflux.

Dont forget it will give you a dry mouth but the Boots dry mouth spray is excellent…far better than the stuff on prescription which made me heave.

Take care

Pip

[quote=“pip”]

Hiya Pat

I work on having mine 12 yrs before you need to get up and the effects seem to of worn off by then.

I am lucky that I have very vivid dreams but they are never nightmares.

I would of been floored taking 25 as a starting dose but I guess everyone is different,I always like to start low and build up slowly with any tablet though as smaller doses of everything seems to work for me.

I started omeprazole as the Gabapentin gave me non stop heartburn. I take it first thing in the morning and I know it is still working during the night as I drink alot due to the dry mouth but no reflux.

Dont forget it will give you a dry mouth but the Boots dry mouth spray is excellent…far better than the stuff on prescription which made me heave.

Take care

Pip

[/quote] Don’t forget Pip - that Omeprazole can cause vitb12 deficiency. Just google omeprazole vitb12.

Campion didnt know that so thank you I will look it up

Cheers Pip

Hi, thanks for replies. I actually posted this in back in July so I’ve now been back on Ami for a couple of months. I take 25 mg at night and 10 mg in morning. Low dose but it has helped with pain and has improved my mood quite a bit.

Only little problem I have is sleeping. Unlike everyone else on Ami I have problems getting to sleep and staying asleep on it (I take the 25 mg at 8.30pm).

The only solution I’ve found is to take one 500 mg paracetamol just before I put light out. That way I get to sleep and sleep all night.

Can’t be harmful… can it?

Pat x

I took 10mg for 2 weeks then upped to 20 mg. I was told to take them 12 hours before you want to be mobile or drive, so I take mine at 7.30pm as I have to get yo at 7 to 7.30am to get my boys off to school. Have weird dreams and weight gain, all I want to do is eat! Plus dry mouth too, but not sure if I want to come off them as you have to wean yourself off them and before I took them I was struggling to walk and could not take my youngest to school.