Prozac fluoxetine

Hi anyone on this now or have been and noticed if it affected the progression of Ms at all?

theyre trialling it currently and I am really struggling with depression so might go on it but wonder if it could work in both ways

I’ve been on Prozac for about twelve years. It made a big difference to how I felt and I’m relieved that I was already on it when I got my MS dx. I’m never coming off it (although I’m fortunately of an age where there wouldn’t be any point IMO - it would be different if I was young and wanting to have kids…

Louise x

Hi thanks louise

how has your Ms progression been? How old are you by the way and I have a son already my main concern is being ok as I can be and around for as long as I can for him

Morning Kris. I’ll be 63 next month, kids are 29 and 22, neuro thinks I’ve had MS since 1997 (when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I remember having a difficult summer/autumn with pain and very bad fatigue.)

I too very much want to be around for my husband and children (who still need you as a parent even if they are adults themselves IMO!) My attitude has long been that if a medical treatment will improve the quality of my life then I’ll take it!

Louise

do you think the fluoxetine has slowed the progression at all? I know what you mean too, I always say if I can be ok for this long etc but in truth I don’t want to be ok for this long I want to be on for a long time!

Hi there

I’ve been on Prozac for 10 years now and have no intention of coming off it! I couldn’t function mentally because of the depression and anxiety and Prozac gave me back my life. I don’t know whether it’s slowed the progression though. I’m SPMS now and use a mobility scooter to get around, although I can walk short distances which feels like walking through treacle! I still enjoy life at 64 and intend to be around for many more years yet!!

Frances x

That’s good to hear it’s helped

i need to do something for the mental effects of it and if it turns out to help too then great

Morning all. I have no idea whether the Prozac has slowed any progression. All I know is that without it I feel it would have been much harder to deal with everything over the years - and I’ve had other stuff (not physical) before the MS dx.

Louise x