Possible MS

Hi all,

I’m new to this so please bear with me!

Fairly recently (over the space of 2 months), I’ve been experiencing unusual symptoms which I can’t quite put my finger on.

It all started with a dysfunction of my language skills, where I found it difficult to understand both verbal and written language. It was as tough my brain was telling me that I didn’t understand what I was reading or hearing. A kind of aphasia if you like. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Also, I have been suffering with pains in my calf muscles; a type of burning/crawling pain accompanied with muscle and limb twitches (all over body) and sensitivity to both cold and hot temperatures.

More recently, I have had eye pain (a sort of headache behind my eyes) complemented by what I call ‘visual snow’ and pain when I move my eye ball around. I also get a circular flash in the corner whilst moving the actual eye ball. Likewise, the colour in my right eye is slightly more faded than the left one and come to think of it, this is something which I remember seeing when I was younger.

I’m also extremely anxious, especially first thing in the morning and taking tablets for depression another common symptom of MS.

Another important thing to note is that my aunty has recently been diagnosed with MS….not sure what difference this makes at all?

Can anyone shed any light on whether this sounds like MS?

Many thanks

Best Wishes

Ed

Might be, might not be…

No idea really. So many things can present with vague possible neurological like symptoms.

Truly, if you are worried the best thing to do is to see your Dr. He can then assess you, run some tests and if needs be make the appropriate referrals.

Take care,

B

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I’ve already mentioned it to the dr and he seemed to dismiss the idea as silly (I only mentioned the twitches, anxiety, aphasia etc but not the eye pain because at the time it wasn’t problematic) and said that I would get some more notable vision symptoms, which is ironic I suppose because I now have them!

The only thing that worries me is the fact that diagnosis is so slow and I fear the dr won’t take me seriously because I have already been to see him with a couple of problems which turned out to be nothing. I also suffer from health anxiety which doesn’t help my cause!

Thanks

Ed

Could be lots of things - could your anxiety and depression creating somatoform physical symptoms, your headaches could be related to stress or could be migraine.

Keep a diary of symptoms - what makes it better, what makes it worse, are you allergic to certain foods, do you feel better in the morning or at night, how is your sleep etc?

Look carefully at your diet (re. vitamins, unprocessed foods etc) and make sure you’re drinking enough water.

If your symptoms don’t improve then take your diary to your GP who will be able to refer you for assessments.

I sincerely hope it isn’t MS, good luck.

Many thanks for the reply anu,

That sounds like a good idea to me to keep a list of symptoms. You are right that it could be anxiety related or it could be possibly linked to thyroid control (I’ve got a thyroid blood test in a couple of weeks so will mention the list if I don’t feel any better).

I forgot to mention that I am pretty clumsy as well, and have been getting a heavy, but not quite numb feeling in my right arm.

I hope it’s not MS too although at least it would give me a diagnosis and something to work with, rather than being in a state of limbo!

Thanks again.

Ed