PIP interview

the criteria for planning a familiar journey to get points.

11 f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points

If you look at the points table: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf you’ll see that the Mobility Activities are divided into two. The first is Planning and Following Journeys, and the second is Moving Around.

You can score points from either or both categories. So if you cannot walk more than 20 metres, you qualify for 12 points. Which is all you need.

Or if you can walk 20 to 50 metres, you’d score 8 or 10 points depending on whether you need an aid or not.

But if you also have trouble planning and following a journey, then you could add points from that Activity to the Moving Around points, giving you 12+ points.

Either way, so long as you have a total of at least 12 points, you’d qualify for the Enhanced rate of the Mobility component for PIP.

I actually think the Mobility Activities are a bit easier to get to grips with than the Daily Living Activities. There are so many of them, so many different questions, and it’s kind of hard to know exactly where you’ll score points. In my assessment, I scored more points in some areas and less in others than I’d thought I would!

Does this table make things easier to get your head around?

Obviously PIP is a total git and belongs in Room 101 together with ESA and criminals who steal your family heirlooms. And the swine who misguidedly decided they could ‘save money’ by changing from DLA to PIP too. Idiots who deserve to reside in Purgatory (if I believed in it!)

Sue

1 Like

This will be an interesting test case: on “good funtionality” and dependency.

Being able to drive alone without a SatNav, and still working in a job which requires a good short-term memory.

Some reference:

https://community.mssociety.org.uk/forums/everyday-living/pip-and-esa-assessments

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

that very useful got it on my bookmarks Sue. I cant believe charlie got no points for mobility, it makes no sense. then i know people who got enhanced and scratch my head … it seems to me, do the assessor actually understand the criteria themselves. Now i am aware he had adapted car, and used wheelchair then he should have got enhanced.

I don’t get the doubt about driving and the mobility section? in the mobility section ofpip there are 2 questions 1 is aimed more at the mental side so for example someone high on the autistic scale who couldn’t plan journeys or go out alone because they are not aware of danger etc would score on that side. The other one is the physical mobility side and if you can not reliably,repeatedly and safely get up and move 20m or more you get 12 points which gets you higher rate or if 20-50m 8 points which gives you lower rate,cant see how driving affects that? Ollie

1 Like

Worth reading:

The PIP Files: DWP documents show ‘absolutely shocking’ failure on further evidence.

Just remember that to the DVLA, an automatic car is an adapted vehicle.

What this will mean if we ever get a truly co-ordinated civil service I shudder to thinki.

Geoff