PIP consultation

If you are given a negative decision, the change to your benefit will take effect from 28 days following your next payment. So if you have been entitled to DLA, are migrated onto PIP, make your claim and are assessed, the decision maker makes their decision and notifies you of it. Any negative change will be effective from 28 days after your last DLA payment. A positive change would be effective from your date of PIP claim.

For really detailed info regarding PIP claims, I suggest joining http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ it costs about £20 per year but its worth it for access to really good, accurate, up to date information.

Sue

Thank you Sssue, so how long is it taking for the decision maker a few days or weeks. Sorry to be a pain trying to sort it all out.

Thanks for your good wishes everyone - just been out looking at cars.

Have a good weekend.

Jen x

I’m sorry, I don’t know. I didn’t have a physical assessment, the decision was made on the papers so I can only say it took a couple of months from submission of the form to a decision. But my case isn’t typical, because I didn’t need an assessment, it was probably quicker than the average. I would expect weeks rather than days though. Once you’ve had the assessment, the assessors need to make their decision as to what points you qualify for on each of the descriptors then send their report to the DWP decision maker. The decision maker then has to actually make their decision and write to you. It’s more of a process than just that the person who assessed you making a decision and notifying you. I’ve never worked in this arena (i.e., been a lion tamer) but it’s my assumption.

Sue

Thanks Ssssue nice that you got yours. Made me lol lion tamer. xxxx

I had a face to face a couple of months ago, and ended up with Enhanced Mobility and Standard Care. I also have Osteoarthritis in my knees. The assessor felt my knees and noted a large amount of crepitus. Putting that and my lack of balance and coordination in attempting to walk got me the Enhanced rate.

My wife has also made the transition from DLA to PIP, but she does not (thankfully) have MS. She was on the High Mobility rate and had the Motability Car which we both used. We had to return that at the end of March. After the Tribunal she has been awarded the Enhanced rate for PIP, a new car is on order and we shall be mobile again about the end of July/early August. Until then we are on the buses to get in and out of our village. Sucks!

I’m just glad I kept hold of my mobility scooter. Without that I would be housebound. Congratulations to the others who managed to convince the establishment that they actually need the help available. Plenty have failed and the second hand car market is currently flooded with low mileage, well maintained and cared for examples.

So good to here got my face to face at 8am next week. Lovely to here your good news.

Congrats Jen,glad everything worked out for you

This might be relevant to some people:

Mobility Scheme extended. 28/04/2017

What does this announcement change?

At present, people who lose the higher rate mobility component of DLA, or the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP, are no longer entitled to a vehicle.

Before the announcement, they had to give their vehicle back after three weeks, even if they disagreed with the decision, decided to ask for reconsideration, and then appealed it. Sometimes they went on to win their reconsideration or appeal, and got their vehicle back anyway.

Now they’ll be able to keep their Motability vehicle for longer, depending when they joined the Scheme.

If people take advantage of this option, their level of transitional support payment (a one-off payment for people who joined the Scheme before 2014) will be reduced.

So, some people will now be able to keep their vehicle during the process of mandatory reconsideration and appeal.

I am currently on DLA on higher rate mobility and have been asked to apply got PIP, which I have done and received a letter yesterday asking me to attend a consultation, I am so nervous and not sure what to expect, when I sent my application off I sent approx 30 pages of evidence from hospital, Physio and doctors. Do I need to take this with me again? I feel like they don’t believe me and I’m concerned that when I go, they will look at me and judge me on how I look. Any help would be much appreciated

Will a carer be taking you there?

Did you supply letters about social care?

Hi Dawny, I had mine last friday, I was lucky to have mine at home. Good job really, I wasn’t too well & the stress just enhanced it. The girl was very nice (I say girl, she was quite young), I had photocopied all my info, even though I had sent it with the original form, she only glanced through it & stated she had all the info anyway. I would take it again though if I were you. She asked me do I feel suicidal, they had obviously been in touch with my hospital for info, I hadn’t put that on my form. I had taken an overdose of Methotrexate by mistake a couple of years ago & had to go into A&E. I’m not suicidal, never have been, but it had been noted on my records. I wouldn’t rely on them getting your records though. They watch everything you do, the way you look & act, the CAB have a guide on what they are looking at. Make sure your answers are not just yes & no, give them as much info about how your illness affects you on a day to day basis. I was truthful, she could see I was struggling. I’m very lucky, I have family, friends that support & do most things for me, so emphasis what help you get. Plenty of info on websites, prep is vital. Good luck, I feel so much better now it’s over, looking into the reconsideration side though, just in case. Tracey xx

Hi, Im going to be taking my husband with me as he is my carer and my rock, I supplied them all my medical notes and support that i am getting from the physio

Hi Tracey, I think i will take all my notes with me again in that case, i have a log of all the times that i have fallen and when i have had really bad spells i think i will take this with me too. What sort of questions can i expected to be asked?

Thanks Dawn

She asked about hobbies, how far I could walk, which was quite funny really because she asked if I could walk to my car, the car would be parked in the front room if I could get it any closer!!!. About how I managed my meds, do I need help getting dressed (which I do on my top half, I’ve got arthritis in my shoulders), any adaptions to the house & that was about it. She spent most of the time on her laptop & she was late! She also asked what I used to work as, I got upset at this because it just made me realise what I’d lost to be honest. She asked me if I had any questions, I said when will I hear to which she answered 4 to 8 weeks, followed by what level of DLA I was on, I said full & she said well hopefully it will stay the same. That was it. She was here roughly an hour. I would definitely take all your evidence with you, pending appointment, all meds your on, any treatment you’ve had, the lot. Good luck, when is it, if you don’t mind me asking? xx

Thank you for your help, i am getting myself so worked up about the whole thing, i feel like bursting into tears, im so worried that they will take my car away.

I have to attend next Friday 26th May, it was before that but i changed it, they wanted me there at 08:30 in the morning and the location was over an hour away. I told them that it would mean me getting up at 05:00 in the morning to enable me to get there on time and that was not possible.

Let hope they are kind to me, fingers crosssed. xx

It is horrible Dawny, I wont lie, I was sick on the morning of it, everything went haywire, we know what stress does don’t we!!! Really hoping it goes well, I’m not holding my breath, I’m a walking wounded so to speak, she was more interested in the Arthritis looking back, didn’t mention the MS so much, I did though. Waiting for the dreaded other brown letter now, yay​ good luck with it, I’m just relieved that bits over, just the reconsideration I suppose, preparing for the worst, anything else is a bonus, sorry to sound a misery arse!!! Tracey xx

I will let you know ho i get on, even though i wont get an answer from them . Thank you again, i hope you get the answer we all deserve

Definitely let us know Dawn, loads of us been through it or waiting, if we can’t do anything else, we can offer support to others xx

Hi Dawn,

My advice is to take all your evidence with you. Get your husband to prompt you if he can. it’s easy to forget.

My lady said she hadn’t seen the original form and just asked the same questions as on the form. Your notes will help remind you how you answered so you don’t miss anything out.

She asked me to do a few movements - squeeze her fingers, lift arms above my head etc.

Phone and get a copy of the report a few days later- it stated the answers I gave and things the lady had typed to back me up or in my case she thought I was worse than I had reported. You can add up the points and have a rough idea what they will award you. - not definite.

Mine was very thorough and took about an hour and a half.

Stressful I know but lets hope you get the reward you deserve.

Jen x