Painkillers

Hey all

Any recommend painkillers for MS? I’ve got spinal arthritis too and have taken Neurofen Plus tonight and I’m literally smiling for the first time in a long time! Unfortunately you can only take them for 3 days and I don’t want to be that person hooked on them. I’ve tried the usual paracetamol, ibuprofen, Naproxen, Amitrytoline (which makes me feel like a zombie the next day). Any suggestions? Xxx

Lou

Hi, I’m on Methotrexate for my RA, although it is being reviewed in October, & Lamotrigine for neuropathic leg pains but I am under a MS pain clinic. Unfortunately, the pain is increasing & having been through the whole range of pain relief meds with no improvement, I am now waiting for a spinal cord nerve stimulator, however this is last resort & not always successful. I have to take cocodamol as well. I can’t take anything ibuprofen based due to a burst stomach ulcer a few years ago (down to volterol). The Methotrexate has worked for a long while, but the RA is progressively getting worse, what’s left on the table, I do not know!! My only pain relief is unfortunately illegal & personal preference so I cannot recommend it to those that would prefer not to go down that path, it does however, work very well for me. I only use it when the pain is unbearable. It depends on what meds you have been offered already. There are many out there, they just haven’t worked for me. Like you, I don’t like being in a state of zombieland, it’s bad enough having these lovely illnesses, without having to give up exsisting as well! Hope you find something suitable soon. Tracey

Hi Lou

How about Pregabalin or Gabapentin? Both for nerve pain.

Or try taking Amitriptyline differently. If you’ve been taking it in the daytime it will make you feel dopey. And if that’s when you have the most pain then it probably is the wrong drug. But if you have pain at night, then try taking it at about 7 or 8 pm and that gives it sufficient time to be metabolised by the morning so you don’t have that hangover feeling.

Or, in the absence of Tracey’s drug of choice, try getting a prescription for Sativex, it’s derived from cannabis but with the illegal bit taken out.

Sue

Volterol caused stomach ulcer!! wow that’s really scary!! is that the Volterol that you rub in? I’ve just discovered that, and found it helpful with my muscle spasms I can’t swallow aspirin or ibuprofen as I get terrible stomach pain plus I’m on Warfarin

No Mully, it was the tablet form, banned now I believe.

Strong medication may be prescribed to reduce muscle cramps. I used Tizanidine. By stimulating presynaptic alpha2 receptors. Then I got off it because my body refused to work without it. It was very difficult but I managed. If you continue to consume it, there is a suppression of polysynaptic transmission of excitation at the level of intermediate neurons of the spinal cord. Since it is this mechanism that is responsible for excessive muscle tone, when it is suppressed, muscle tone is reduced. In addition to its myorelaxant properties, tizanidine also has a central moderately pronounced analgesic effect.