ON relapse and working

I have been suffering with ON relapse for approx 6 weeks. Have been back to MS nurse today who has advised me that I shouldn’t be driving. I have been suffering terrible tiredness that just wont go away and i ache in places that i didn’t even know existed. I work full time and have not taken any days sick for this relapse, even taking holidays for days I needed to go for IV steroid treatment. My problem is that I work nearly an hour away from home and drive there each day, I have asked my employer for home access which can be given although its usually frowned upon. They are trying to be helpful by letting me work at a closer office and they are looking to arrange “transport” for me to get to and from the closer branch. I know they are probably trying there best but wanted to get some thoughts from others who may have had a similar situation. Thanks

Hard as it is, you might have to bite the bullet and have some time off sick. You’d be able to get a GP to sign you off. Until this year I had mild relapses and always worked through but this year it floored me and I just had to take the time off. Sometimes it can’t be helped.

It may also help them focus their efforts on helping you more quickly if they realise how hard you are finding things.

Yeah it looks that way, I’ve worked out that if I get a taxi to the closest office it will cost £10 each way! I’m sure they won’t be happy paying that. As for public transport it would take 2 buses to get there and I will probably have to leave so much earlier than I would do on a normal day. Well I’ve got to go into work tomorrow so will see how it goes, I’m also waiting on a date to go into hospital for another 3 day IV steriod treatment :frowning: Thanks for you advice.

Yeah it looks that way, I’ve worked out that if I get a taxi to the closest office it will cost £10 each way! I’m sure they won’t be happy paying that. As for public transport it would take 2 buses to get there and I will probably have to leave so much earlier than I would do on a normal day. Well I’ve got to go into work tomorrow so will see how it goes, I’m also waiting on a date to go into hospital for another 3 day IV steriod treatment :frowning: Thanks for you advice.

I am sorry that you are struggling. I really hope that work appreciate that you are doing your best and go to some trouble and expense to help you. Being off the road is an awful problem, but staying safe is an absolute priority. I hope that things settle down for you soon. Alison

I got my collegues to ferry me around. It was a pain but enabled me to carry on working through my relapse. Then I had to get the all clear from the DVLA before driving again. That really was a pain but had to be done. I hope you come up with a workable solution.

Thank you all for your comments, can’t wait to feel even just a little better. :slight_smile: Tiredness is taking over, all I seem to do is work and sleep but hey ho that’s life!

Hi I am now 3 months into a ON relapse and can completely sympathise with you. I had to take 3 weeks off when it first hit and have since tried my best to get back to work, but wouldn’t have been able to if it wasn’t for Access to Work. they are funding my taxi journeys to and from work at a total cost of £40 per day, a cost i couldn’t cover myself. I have to pay £6 of this myself. It is temporary until I am able to drive safely again. would recommend you contact them. Very straight forward and really helpful, especially when you say temporary. hth Sam

Hi Sam Is access to work something that your employer has or is it benefit/government run? Thanks

Hi

It is run by the DWP https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

It’s not really a benefit, more of a grant. I think the logic is that if the government help people keep their jobs by giving them a little when in times of need, they are less likely to lose their jobs and therefore need larger amounts of long term benefits. (However don’t quote me on this rather pro government stance - I think this is probably one of the very few things they are getting right at the mo) I certainly wouldn’t qualify for any help under either the old DLA or the new PIP, but I can’t do the whole public transport thing whilst I am virtually blind in one eye and suffering from balance problems, and the fatigue is a nightmare - I agree!

They were really good, simple phone call, they send you the form to check and sign, then you are assigned an advisor, they contact you and assess you over the phone. I was given a decision immediately, as I was asking for temporary help and I described it pretty much like an injury. It may be a different process if you are asking for long term support. I have an account with a taxi firm, they invoice me, I claim it back (less my contribution which is £3 each way, not bad when you consider a train ticket is £7 return), pay the taxi firm

Good luck

S