Numb legs and walking

I’m currently “numb” from the waist down and so much said in this thread applies, my toes feel like an elastic band around them, my hips where the feeling comes back feel ultra sensitive, like sunburn. The random vibrating I timed earlier- every 3 minutes. Stairs are a struggle because I feel like I can’t bend my knees, nearly fell down them a couple of times yesterday. I’m so unbalanced my partner brought me home a walking stick so I can get to the shop on my own as I’ve been stuck in the house for two days. So glad to know I’m not alone and that I’m not going crazy.

I had this as my first relapse, numb from the bra line down. Elastic band feeling on my calves and waist, the sensations were crazy! And then after the numbness started to wear off the buzzing started. Lasted for weeks. They told me it was transverse myelitis. Took from August till the new year to settle.

I have had it when I came back from shopping I couldn’t feel from my neck down. Doctor said to rest. After a few days it wore off. But the tingling in my right leg is a constant thing and comes on even more after a relapse.

I had my diagnosis about 2 weeks ago and this almost perfectly describes the relapse I had which lead to it!

Total numbness from neck down, which came on within about 8 hours. Completely altered sensation all over, my feet felt like I was walking on huge, painless air-filled blisters (best description I can think of) and I kept waking up thinking my legs had disappeared. While in hospital I would often get half way to the bathroom before realising I had left one of my slippers behind! I also felt like my midsection was being squeezed through a rubber tube repeatedly. 10 weeks on and my hands, chest and parts of my arms are still numb but thankfully the rest of me is back to normal.

Amy x

i have been waking up with no feeling in my legs. hips too toes. i haven’t been able to walk. it takes me half an hour to get out of bed as i have to do physio every morning . i have to basically teach myself to walk every morning.

Hello! I am relieved to read this! I am in the middle of a relapse where I have gone numb to my chest and was worrying about how far it had spread. I know we are all different but it is a relief to read that others have gone through the same and come out the other side :slight_smile:

I get this “nothing there” feeling almost every time I walk.

Its like my left leg goes through motions of movement when walking but I dont get the feedback to my brain, if that makes sense ?

i often feel like my legs are made of salt and are dissolving from the feet up!

weird doesn’t begin to describe it!

Describing MS symptoms to someone who doesn’t have it can be extremely difficult and frustrating. I find even my MS team sometimes give me a doubtful look when I try to explain whats going on

1 Like

Totally, the little bit of walking I manage to do often has my left foot stepping on top of the right because the message about where it’s intended to go just doesn’t get through!

Sue

I was diagnosed in June 2016 at the age of 60. At this age not sure whether things are just normal older age things or MS. “Funny” legs come and go and reassuring to read this is quite a “common” symptom of MS . Frustrating as used to walk everywhere, am still trying to walk as much as possible but balancing it with resting. HUGE learning curve to manage life post MS diagnosis.

1 Like

Hi people, my legs are now unbelievably painful when I walk up stairs or even the slightest bank,when I stop it’s like they burn and I just can’t lift them to go on. The foot numbness is starting to become a problem now too it kind of feels like there is a bag of air or maybe water between my foot and the ground, I can walk ok but it feels like my foots not going to land correctly. Quite bizarre! Have also been having what alnost feels like a chinese burn in the inside of my left thigh and a stabbing pulsing in my right wrist…Seems its all just another MS related thing ( even though scans and tests are all clear) too many coincidences not to be in my opinion but you got to just keep pushing for answers. Xx

Hi all, anyone have these symptoms. Tender back, painful to the touch,sore ribs and painful numb hands :frowning:

This may sound daft but I am currently having these symptoms and even though I was diagnosed many years ago I still never know at which point I should take time off work. I was to go in for my own state of mind but don’t know if I’m just prolonging this sensation or even making things worse. Any advice welcome!

Irongirl - I’d say depends entirely what type of work you do. Lifting heavy things, carrying heavy stuff - going to make muscles in yr wrists and arms worse. Possibly even the back. Should you drive a forklift if you get numb hands? Probably not!

Question is: can you do your job to the best of your ability OR is the MS making it too hard?

Can you still do your job without causing a danger to yourself and others? One to consider if you work with children and if you started to trip or fall.

Thank you for your advice, I do work with children and decided as you say, that it just isn’t safe for me to work while feeling like this. For the past week my legs have constantly been hot, heavy and tingly. I can still walk but at times very wobbly. I have had this before and was advised to rest but still keep going, don’t stop completely! Best wishes to everyone and hope you’re all through this horrible sensation soon.

Oh tell me about it!

Numb legs feeling as if they are not there…with me one leg is there but the other leg isn’t. Your word weird is exactly right.

I have felt your comments helpful.Diagnosed 25 years ago,I hadn’t experienced these symptoms before.Find it difficult to explain,not numb but feels disconnected,bought a foldable stick as it doesn’t work properly if walking for awhile,have had a couple of falls,nothing major.Not impacting too much but can’t go for the walks I enjoyed so much,hoping it will resolve soon.Fuzzy,cotton wool sensation .

I have had loss of sensitivity in my right leg from my toes to my waist foemnearly two years now. I can’t feel temperature, wind or pain. I am having continence issues due to this. My ms nurse is referring me for physio and bladder and bowel nurse. My symptoms just seem to be getting worse. I also have noticed loss of sensation in my toes in my right foot. It does feel like I am doing a space walk. I reported this to esa who have informed me they won’t be looking at my changes until my next assessment in 2020. I really don’t feel this is fair as they tell you to report changes but are not willing to listen. I have also had to have new glasses when I only had new ones six months ago and feel like I have dementia.

Ive had numbness from ribcage to foot right side since 2001…hasnt gone away…cotton wool feeling on right foot havent been able to drive for 3 years …cant feel the pedals…numbness got worse in foot …its strange and puts you off balance when trying to walk outside …which i cant do as much now…