No peripheral sensory symptoms at all!

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed 18 months ago following an episode of ‘isolated 6th nerve palsy’ (double vision) then developed balance issues. I have NEVER had peripheral sensory symptoms; no tingling or numbness at all, and I’m lucky not to have developed any mobility issues. Steroids sort out the double vision (I’ve had 3 separate episodes) but I’m left with various vision problems - oscillopsia and lack of depth perception primarily - questionable balance, occasional and profound nausea, fatigue, and mood/depression instability. I have developed bladder issues - lack of contractility and unco-operative sphincters, and very, very sluggish bowels. I have also developed pudendal (rather embarrassing to talk about) and (I’m guessing) phrenic neuralgia which bring the most crippling pains on a daily basis (yay for tramadol, though my 800mg a day requirements seem unsustainably high - pain clinic appointment this week). And I also have the most disgusting night sweats shudder Does anyone else have any similar symptoms, or know of people who have MS and while they may have quite a lot of symptoms, none of them involve sensory problems in the extremities? Many thanks!

And I’d be very interested to hear about any treatments people have had success with!!

hiya

i dont know of anyone that doesnt have sensory probs/issues-sorry…

ellie

Thanks Ellie - I’ve begun to realise that I might be a bit weird in terms of symptoms and I was wondering if anybody could give me some reassurance/information about what it means in terms of disease progression. I knew it might be a shot in the dark - thanks for replying though! :slight_smile:

hiya again

u say weird-better if u say unique!

i seem to remember reading somewhere (no idea where!) that sensory issues were better to deal/cope with than motor…

have just reread ur post…wont the vision issues class as sensory?

ellie

Vision issues probably would be classed as sensory, but pretty central, rather than peripheral. Probably :slight_smile: Just another MS unknown - as in no-one really seems to know. Just keep taking the drugs… Which I’m all for, if they help :slight_smile:

Hello Dr F Sorry but I struggle to process a lot of information with this ms of mine. Are you saying that you think your symptoms are weird in relation to ms? Lots of people on here, including myself have similar symptoms if that’s any comfort. What it means in terms of progression is anybody’s guess. Even the experts don’t know…do they? Sorry if I’ve misunderstood. Xxx

Hi Blossom, I probably didn’t make it very clear - I certainly didn’t phrase my question(s) very well! Sorry - and thanks for replying anyway! I was wondering about the fact that I have quite a few, very definitely MS-related symptoms but don’t have any of the commonly reported/described sensory symptoms in my arms or legs. No tingling or pins and needles or numbness or weakness - I have probably misunderstood myself, but I wasn’t sure if many people had some quite pronounced MS symptoms such as bladder and bowel issues, pain, fatigue, balance problems, nausea etc. but without any of limb stuff. I always thought (based only on what I’ve seen/heard) that the tingling etc were early symptoms experienced by most MS folk. And I was just wondering if this is the case based on people on here’s experience? Thanks again.

Hello again Dr F I was diagnosed in August. I think it’s fair to say people with ms are a complicated and unique bunch. I also have Psoriatic arthritis which I think complicates things for me. I do get the pins and needles/numbness and the other things you mention but I’m sure there will be people on this forum that may identify and share your symptoms. All the best to you Xxx

I have had all the above and other symptoms, like tingling, stiffness, loss of mobility ect.

So I wolud say your symptoms are within the symptoms that we will all have/my have at one time or another.

I think Dr F is saying that he doesn’t get the pins and needles, numbness etc and wonders if anyone else shares this. Xxx

If he’s not saying this I’m putting a paper bag over my head lol x

Dr-F is a she! And yes, exactly right Blossom :slight_smile:

Hi I don’t have tingling, pins and needles or numbness. Over more than twenty years I have had less than a week of tingling and that is all for sensory symptoms. I have no pain or fatigue either. My problems are my very poor walking and even more poor balance. Cheryl:-)

Hi I don’t have tingling, pins and needles or numbness. Over more than twenty years I have had less than a week of tingling and that is all for sensory symptoms. I have no pain or fatigue either. My problems are my very poor walking and even more poor balance. Cheryl:-)

Thanks for responding Cheryl, for some reason it really is quite reassuring to hear from someone who has had similar experiences. Sorry to hear your walking and balance are so bad. All the very best x

I think of MS symptoms as a kind of a pick’n’mix. You can have any combination available really… Aren’t we lucky to be so unique (she said ironically). Have the MS nurses / your consultant mentioned this? I have some (?most) of the symptoms you mention with a dodgy right side too. Tingles / numbness / weakness / fatigueability etc. Hope the pain clinic helps. Take care. Ann xx