Next stage a wheelchair?

Today I began to wonder if I am getting to the point of needing some kind of wheelchair. I’d kept saying that my target is to reach my 70th birthday in 3 years and not be in a wheelchair, but today we had to go to Peterborough station to pick up a visitor, and I was struggling. Disabled space seemed a long way from the building, then disabled loo is actually on the platform. Managed to cover the distance very slowly with my Rollator, but bumpy surfaces and cambers made it such a toil. Exhausted by the time I got back to the car. Am I being stupid fighting the inevitable? I think if I gave in I’d feel demoralised, but I’m really finding daily living is getting to be a struggle.

1 Like

Hello, Lynda.

I found the use of a wheelchair liberating. I wanted to get to 60 still working but had to give up at 57. That too was liberating. I now have two electric wheelchairs and a scooter and I’m zooming. I can go to various places and move about.

Best wishes, Steve.

5 Likes

Hello Lynda, Its a decision only you can make, my mobility went rapidly and although iv’e got a bit back i’ll never be like i was, all i can say from my own experience is once you accept it you actually begin to live again. Getting my power chair is the best thing i have done…at first the shock of…“Heck what has happened i’m in a wheelchair” feeling would rush over me, in the beginning i was in a manual one pushed by family members and then 2 years ago got my power chair and Frazer my wonderful assistance dog… now i can honestly say after 3 years i’m actually loving my life again. I really hope that helps. I think we are all at different stages in our grieving our loss and sometimes we may still have a long way to go. I was the kind of person who was too vain to wear glasses so having to use a wheelchair was a massive shock… I once read that even though you may not be able change what has happened, you can change your outlook… I know it sounds easier said than done…but im getting there, today i had a fabulous time shopping with my teenage daughter, we had such a laugh.

Michelle x

4 Likes

I use a manual wheelchair when out shopping etc, for several years now. If i dont i am wiped out. I would rather reserve my energy, i am 65 in a week.

I do have a lightweight electric wheelchair, but my husband cant get it into the van he is too weak, so it rarely gets used, but i do have a scooter to go out with dog or shops.

I have people to push me about lol.

You can buy them so cheap now on ebay or betterlife, mine was 50.00 delivered, very lightweight. Go for it. I dont use it in the house, only for shopping purposes etc.

2 Likes

Lynda, I’ve been in my manual wheelchair for some years now, but I remember going through the same debate with myself as you are now.

Three things:
Firstly if you do get a chair, don’t regard it as giving in. Think of all the energy you’ll be saving that you can use in far more productive and enjoyable ways than simply getting around.
Secondly, once in a chair make every effort to exercise to preserve what muscles you still have use of- ask for physiotherapy. I began to get lazy once I was in a chair and I’ve had to redouble my efforts not to turn into a blob.
Thirdly, if you decide on a chair, choose it carefully and if possible get help to make sure it is the right size and set up properly for you.
Fourthly (oh all right, four things ) ask OT to help you with making your home accessible- they should provide ramps and so on.

Kev x

6 Likes

Hi Lynda,

I know what you mean by setting a target before you have to use wheelchair. I’m doing the same thing. On the other hand, as Michelle says, think of it as not ‘giving in’ but more ‘adapting’ to your physical needs. If I’m having an off day, I’ll quite happily use a wheelchair or a scooter if provided.

Last year Gill and I went to Kew Gardens after I discovered that they have scooters for people with disabilities. We had a great day out, because we were going everywhere at the same speed and our enjoyment wasn’t spoilt by me getting overtired. I have learnt to recognise that I only have enough energy to do one job a day. But I can choose which one.

That’s not giving in, that’s empowerment.

I left my dignity at reception the day I was diagnosed and I haven’t been back to pick it up. Sometimes it just gets in the way of living.

Regards,

Anthony

4 Likes

Hi Lynda, I’m having the same debate with myself. I have set a goal of 60 for giving up work. I have two years to go but it seems a long way away. As for walking, I get so exhausted just walking a few yards with a crutch. So much so, I get anxious going anywhere. I am of the if you don’t use it you lose it school of thought but I am permanently exhausted.

Mags xx

2 Likes

Hi Lynda

it is a decision that only you can make, but for me it was a case of having a chair, or staying at home, and back then my children were small and needed me to go out, which I suppose helped with my choice.

Thhe only thing I can say is having a power hair gave me my life back, saves you precious energy to use on anything else, and at the end of the day, I just see it as a tool to make life enjoyable.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.

Ppam x

4 Likes

Thanks so much everyone, for wise words and great support. Only folk like us who are all travelling to the same destination really ‘get it’ about how to face these differ stages. Today we went to a national trust property and is was such s relief to be able to do it on my little car boot scooter. A few bits were inaccessible and the gravel paths were bumpy put all in all it was good.

i need to think about types, so any recommendations? Ideally I want something very foldable and portable as planning to visit son and his family in Melbourne.

1 Like

Betterlife are selling a portable foldable manual wheelchair. A powerchair non are light sadly. I bought what was supposed to be a light mini powerchair, and its really still heavy to be lifted into the boot of the car, and my husband couldnt do it. Its wasted on me, been hardly used.

LyndaT,

Would a “Foldawheel/Foldalite” powerchair be right for you?

There are now 4 different versions (…different sizes, weights, carrying capacities). They are not the cheapest but they’re versatile, quite lightweight and I’m sure you get what you pay for !!

(I’d have gone for one If I’d been convinced they’d be suitable for the small (pokey) flat I’m in and the the high steps to get over to get in/out of the block !! As it is, I’ve gone for an exclusively indoor chair that would only be usable outside in very specific situations.)

Do a search for ‘Foldawheel’ or ‘Foldalite’ chairs …I know http://www.careco.co.uk/cat-pc01/powerchairs.htm/ currently supply 4 different models, so that me a good place to start.

Good luck!

Dom

1 Like

I’m looking at Wheelchair88 a power chair weighing 45lbs, just under £2k. Have tried out a friend’s in her garden. She likes it. Anybody seen or used one? She bought it via Amazon but it comes from Malaysia.

I’ve ordered one that I think is very similar to that one but direct from Malaysia, it’s very much cheaper doing it that way. I will get the link from my husband and post it on here tomorrow. It’s arriving tomorrow hopefully!

Nina x

2 Likes

I had a fantastic day on Saturday, our youngest got married had I not been in my power chair my day would have been severely curtailed. It liberated both me and my wife so we could enjoy our sons wedding. We even phoned the taxi and extended our stay by an hour. The taxi driver gave us his mobile number expecting us to stay longer. Our son was over the moon we were able to do what we did, all because of the wheelchair.

It is only another tool enabling me to enjoy my life and others to endure my company and suffer my rotten jokes.

XXX Don

5 Likes

Don, I’m so pleased that you had a good time at your sons wedding, the wheelchair really makes a big difference in us enjoying ourselves. Ive got gorgeous a picture of my niece sat on my knee at my sons wedding in Scotland , we were joining in the Conga.

Michelle x

3 Likes