Forum

Just ordered a wheelchair. Bit of a milestone.

I have just ordered a wheelchair. A basic, self propelled model model.

I don’t need one 100% of the time and manage quite well using crutch(es) but lately I have found anything more than a very slow walk down the road to my local shops (less than 100m and stopping every 10-15 steps) is getting beyond me.

Certainly it is beyond my husband’s patience

Not looking for any advice or sympathy. Just feeling a bit ho-hmmmmmmm if you know what I mean.

i know exactly what you mean…its very daunting,i rmeber when i got mine,it took me ages to finally get one,when i did i just couldnt get my head round the fact that i had to use one,if i was going out shopping or for a day out,i really needed one,it got to the point i was housebound,so i had to get one…

hate to say it but i could never accept using one,dont know why,just couldnt,so i bought a scooter and as much as i dont like using that,i find it better than the w/c…it gave me back a bit of independance,i think what i hated about the w/c was being ‘pushed’ by anyone as i dont have the strength to self propel…

hope yours makes life easier for you…

I know hun…another thing to remind us how limited we are, And it isnt right that anyone walkin with us should make us feel worse for slowing them down. They just dont get it and probably never will!

Ive been a full time user for 11 years now and my best advice is to use your chair after attempting to use your legs…but avoid over tiring yourself. Have you tired FES or any other devices for poor mobility? No-one told me about FES. I would have given it a go.

If you need to use the chair more and more, try to get somone to excerise your legs for you.

poll

May I briefly pop in? I’ve been on this forum for almost two years now and have been given a diagnosis of FND but I’m seeing a neurologist again as new symptoms popped up that are interfering with my mobility. I’ve had one ‘within normal limit’ MRI but no EP or LP (not that I want that, but they haven’t sufficiently proved it isn’t MS) I’ve just bought myself a wheelchair because I’ve used courtesy ones in my big local supermarket and at the Natural History Museum in London. I was delighted to find how much one helped. I was less fatigued, less anxious about falling over as I have persistent dizziness and myoclonic jerks that tip me over sideways, make me do embarrasing pelvic thrusts in public and my knees are prone to give way for a split second. I’ve been stuck waiting for the Chronic Fatigue group therapy that my first neuro recommended in November (which includes an OT and Physio in the team) - August tomorrow and still no date! So, my GP has referred me to Physio and I’ll see them next week. I started using a stick finally about a month ago. It helps on good days but on bad days I get tired easily and jerk more. I have to walk 4 miles in a day during term time and I was really struggling. So, I may have jumped tbe gun and I don’t know what my physio will say, but for me a wheelchair was the solution to a growing problem. Does anyone have any first time wheelchair user tips?

l have had a wheelchair for many years. The district nurses insisted l needed one and arranged for it to be delivered. Wheelchair services also come and check it over - put new tyres on if necessary. ~Only, use it very occasionally - but it is there if needed. l have a scooter for getting about on. A all-terrain Tramper for getting over the fields with the dogs. And a smaller one that folds down to go into the car.

But it is my rollator l use all the time to get around the house and to take in the car to get me into shops/pubs/ friends houses. l even have one at the top of the stairs [stairlift] to get me to my bedroom. A rollator holds me upright - enables me to carry lots of things - especially my dinner plate/mug from kitchen unit to table. And l can get around the garden with it as l can carry a watering can - even sit on the rollator whilst picking beans!! l have a Topro Olympus rollator - recommended by Patrick aid4disabled.com who is on this site. lts far superior to the type that social services supply - more stable so l feel safe. Gets me to the loo in record time!! A very important feature that.

Hopefully I will be able to send this reply, as yesterday the page was bouncing up and down like a yo-yo everyime I tried to hit the send button.

Okay, I`ve come back with what I hope will be useful to Reikiblossom and anyone else, who finds themselves at the scary crossroads of severe moblity poblems versus shall I use a mobility aid? That could be a walking stick, a rollator, a wheelchair or a scooter?

I have been there with all those things.

When we find ourselves facing a milestone in our MS or other progressive illnesses journey, there are things we see as negative, when really they are positive things, ie they will help keep us safe, enablng us to join in with the world outside our homes, and not make us confined to 4 walls. We sometmes find it hard to see the wood for the tree, as they say!

We can become to concernd with what others may think of us if they see us in a wheelchair, or using a rolaltor. Yes, they my be surprised or even shocked at the sight. But if you asked them if they would rather see you hurt after a fall, or miserable because you feel a prisoner in your own home. Truly, not one of them would!

So now dear friends, find the courage I am sending you to do whatever it s that will enhance your lives.

much love,

Pollyx

3 Likes

My cousin tells me her father - my uncle George can only get about in his flat with the use of a rollator. And will not go anywhere as he is to embarrassed to been seen outside with it. George is 93!! The only good thing is he now does not drive his car.

Pride comes before a fall.

Thankyou Polly. I decided to be open about it and …a little nervously…posted a photo for my friends on Facebook, explaining why I’m using it. The warm and caring comments (and gentle jokes) I’ve received have increased my self-esteem about this. To say, hey folks, I’m occasionally on wheels now! (that was the gist) is the way I’m dealing with this.

I am sad that it is harder to get around and pushing myself to do things as I normally would have now holds drastic consequences, but I’m finding ways round it. First a stick, now some (rather cool looking) wheels. I can also, after a very brief experience so far, empathise with those who use a wheelchair daily. It is a luxury to be able to stand up and reach things from that top shelf in the shop, to walk around to get in the car, to climb a rugged hillside to see a stone tower (I did, recently! Yes, legs like jelly afterward but I did it!).

It falls into that same category of ‘If you need help, ask for it.’ Support is always available, when you’re open to say Yes! to it. All the best to everyone here :heart: