Newly Diagnosed - Would love words of encouragement.

Hi, I am 25 years old and I live in the United States. I am about as newly diagnosed as you can be without the 100% certainty of being diagnosed. I had the L’hermittes sign and they sent me in for an MRI/MRA. There they found lesions in my spine and brain. I am now awaiting my neurology appointment later this month to hopefully get a diagnosis and treatment plan. I know this is not a death sentence but I am having a very hard time explaining that to my family and loved ones. If you could drop words of encouragement for my bad days while I wait for my neurology appointment I would so much appreciate that. Thank you so much for listening, my emotions are all over the place.

Hi there, I was around 25 when I was told those words in hospital. At that point I was full of mixed emotions scared what would others think were my main ones.
I am 50 this year, married with two kids. Lots of international travel and lots of fun stuff. I would be lying if I said everything was always great but there have been some tough times and I am sure there will be lots of other challenges to get over.
If I was to give you any advice it would be to be kind to yourself. Friends and family will worry and thanks to google will all be experts. Everyone is different and the effects are different as well. Good luck

Be kind

Hello Savannah

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you’ll find it a useful and informative place as well as being somewhere you can find common ground.

It does sound as though you are anticipating a diagnosis of MS. As you clearly understand, it isn’t a death sentence by any means. Today there are so many disease modifying drugs that should mean you will continue to be hale and healthy for many years to come.

In terms of talking about MS, have a look at Telling people about your MS | MS Trust Obviously this is a U.K. site, so information about who you are required to inform will be different. But the sections about who to tell and how to talk about MS should be useful.

You do sound very sensible and as though you’ve taken this journey in your stride. I am sure that inside you are probably just as scared as your family but are trying to present a strong and capable front for them. Don’t be surprised if you do at some point have a bit of a meltdown when the reality of diagnosis takes effect.

Feel free to come and seek help and comfort from us. We are a strong community of people from a range of different backgrounds and with widely differing symptoms.

Sue