Newly diagnosed/symptoms lasting a long time

Hello!

Sorry if this topic has been spoken about before, I’m new to this forum!

I was just diagnosed in October 2020 after having 2 bouts of optic neuritis in the last 2 years & recently numbness in the left side of my body, within a space of 2 weeks I had tests,MRI & diagnosed! I’m starting Tecfidera this week (pretty nervous but I’ve read some advice on here which will hopefully help with what to eat etc & side effects)

All symptoms have gone apart from numbness in my left arm & hand and occasionally my left leg!, I didn’t realise symptoms can last over 5 months. Has anyone else experienced this? When I start treatment should this ease off the symptoms?

Really would appreciate any advice or help as I think I’m reading too much & getting myself confused!!
thank you!!

Hi CC

MS is a contrary beast.

It makes it hard to respond to questions from newbies like yourself.

You got your diagnosis in october and you will start your DMD this week.

About Tecfidera:

Make sure that you eat before hand, the reccommendation is to have protein.

However I don’t eat much meat so I have peanut butter on toast which i love (even better if with marmite as well).

Failure to eat before taking Tec means you’ll suffer side effects such as nausea, flushing (really bright red, Donald Trump colour) so eat!

My symptoms were fairly mild for the first few years, (my diagnosis was in 2008). Now I’m convincing myself that I’m like Captain Scarlett - indestructible! However I am not!

The DMDs don’t get rid of symptoms but they reduce the number of relapses and hence further disability.

You should speak to your GP about your symptoms. He/She can prescribe pain killers and refer you on to other agencies.

Ask about physiotherapy. (expect to be totally knackered after physio).

speak to yor MS nurse who knows which agencies are available.

Good luck!

Bask in the knowledge that you are fighting back the MS with Tecfidera.

Carole

Thank you so much Cat Woman!!! Really appreciate all your advice :slight_smile: & thanks for the laughs… the last thing I need is to look like trump!!! Take care

It’s good for a laugh when I get a Tec flush.

Carole

Would cost a fortune on sunbed sessions to get that colour (Trump how can vanity be in your life with hair/bad wig like that?)