Newbie - help with fundraising

Hello, I’m new to the forum so thought I should introduce myself first, so, hello!

I’m after some advice on fundraising if anyone could help? Apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

I’ve been searching the internet for advice, but really don’t know how to go about fundraising for what I want to do.

My Dad has MS and he keeps mentioning that he would really like to do some exercise to ease his muscle tension, aid walking etc and has spotted one of the Medimotion exercise machines advertised in the MS magazine, however he has written it off as he knows it will be quite expensive, he simply doesn’t have the spare cash.

What I would like to do is raise enough money to buy one of these for him. I’m prepared to put the effort in with fundraising ideas such as 3 peaks challenge, bike rides, marathon (half - I’m not that brave to run a full one!!) etc. I have it on my mind that I need to do this and am aware I will need to put the hours in!

I’m really not sure what I have to do legally though, do I have to register a charity, or can I just go for it? I’ve tried looking through sites as justgiving.com, but you have to link up with one of the already registered charities, which I am not

Does anyone know where I should start?

Many Thanks

Jo

Have you thought of contacting your nearest MS Society branch to see if they will part-fund the exercise machine?

Liz

Hi Jo

I’m not to sure about the rules for fundraising for individuals but did you know that the MS Society can give grants for exercise equipment if people meet the right criteria?

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-support/practical-and-financial-help/work-and-money/grants

Greg

[admin]

Hi Liz and Greg,

Thank you for your responses.

I’ve just actually got hold of our local branch and spoke to a lady who has mentioned it may be possible to apply for a grant, so she is sending me a form out to set the ball rolling.

It is really difficult to find any info on raising money for individuals and of course I’d like to do it in the right way. I’ll keep looking into that to see what comes up on that front

In the mean time the company has given me the price for the equipment which is £4,650 - yikes!!

I’d love to be able to raise this, but want to do it in the right way