Forum

New with partner

Hi, My partners MRI came back with lesions on the spine and the lumbar puncture was done but no results as of yet. I think they are giving diagnosis of ms as has already been referred to ma nurse. We had a date for for september to go back However, after lumbar puncture the consultant has written to us and brought the date forward for three weeks time. The letter from the consultant just said I have looked at your results and would like you to come in and discuss them with you in person. The appointment letter said ’ due to unforeseen circumstances we Have brought the date of your appointment forward. I’m really panicking now and thinking the worst

hi,

im no expert but wander if your gp can tell you the results? they may not beable do anything but at least you’ll stop panicking?

I received the results of mri from my gp even though i was being referred back to neuro.

kel x

That is a terrible way to inform you no wonder you are expecting the worst. But maybe it is not the worst. Maybe the LP has been negative for MS and they want to look at other possible causes for the lesions. Maybe the neuro was kind off expecting the LP to be positive. Has your partner had a brain MRI ?

Moyna x

Initially the MRI was done and they found I think two lesions on the spine. I wasn’t with him at this point as he didn’t want to worry me. The consultation ten saw him and informed him that this may be an indication of ms. This was a week before we got married and my attitude was… What will be will be. He was then referred for lumbar puncture and at the same time we got an appointment for the end of September and feb 2014. The lumbar puncture was done 4 weeks ago and so I’m assuming they have had results hence the letter. The reason why I’m panicking is that I assumed he already had a formal diagnosis of ms before lumbar now I think they may say its primary progressive or is it going to be case of saying yes, now we have a formal diagnosis of ms. I’m soooo worried, panic attacks the lot. I’m crying writing this now. I’m a mental health nurse ma want the facts and have therefore been researching in secret as don’t want to worry my husband. Then I feel like a selfish cow cause I’m not the one going through this, it’s him. I fele like everything has come crashing down. I’ve been researching the McDonald criteria to see if I can figure out what type of ms it could be. This all very new to me and now I am just thinking the worst

Initially the MRI was done and they found I think two lesions on the spine. I wasn’t with him at this point as he didn’t want to worry me. The consultation ten saw him and informed him that this may be an indication of ms. This was a week before we got married and my attitude was… What will be will be. He was then referred for lumbar puncture and at the same time we got an appointment for the end of September and feb 2014. The lumbar puncture was done 4 weeks ago and so I’m assuming they have had results hence the letter. The reason why I’m panicking is that I assumed he already had a formal diagnosis of ms before lumbar now I think they may say its primary progressive or is it going to be case of saying yes, now we have a formal diagnosis of ms. I’m soooo worried, panic attacks the lot. I’m crying writing this now. I’m a mental health nurse ma want the facts and have therefore been researching in secret as don’t want to worry my husband. Then I feel like a selfish cow cause I’m not the one going through this, it’s him. I fele like everything has come crashing down. I’ve been researching the McDonald criteria to see if I can figure out what type of ms it could be. This all very new to me and now I am just thinking the worst

The type of MS is determined from symptoms / history, not test results. People with PPMS do not have relapses; instead, their symptoms gradually worsen over time. People with RRMS have periods when symptoms flare up (either new ones or old ones) followed by periods of remission. The degree of recovery from each relapse varies. If your husband’s symptoms started suddenly (over hours / days rather than months / years) and at least some have improved since then, then the likelihood is that it is RRMS.

It would have been very very easy for your husband to have heard “MS” without fully realising that the neuro wanted the LP done before confirming it for certain. I would guess therefore that this appointment is formal confirmation and perhaps, if it is RRMS, discussion about disease modifying drugs (DMDs).

I wholeheartedly recommend talking honestly with your husband. Chances are that he is also freaking out, but trying to protect you and so keeping it all to himself. Talking may be a huge help - to you both.

One final thing: I know it seems scary right now, but MS really isn’t the end of the world. You’ll still be able to have kids, travel, have fun and everything else that’s important to you. Life honestly can still be good.

Kx

Thanks, this forum has honestly helped me over my little melt down. I think it the unknown that is annoying me but I’m sure it will be sorted at appointment. Thanks for advice