New to Forum hello

My husband has SPMS and I am his sole carer but it is starting to affect me and my health. I can generally manage but his legs are generally so stiff and just stick out which causes major problems with everything including getting his feet onto the footplate of the wheelchair.
I don’t have much of a life myself now as I am always caring for him and if I do suggest doing anything he gets mardy and upset with me as we have always done things together. But I need some time away from the situation. Was thinking about some respite for him but not sure where to start. Sorry if I sound selfish but I’m struggling

Hi Freddie - I feel for you both. I have SPMS and I worry about how it will effect both myself ,my husband and my daughter, also how it will impact and other peoples thoughts and feelings.

I think respite is probably a good idea for you both, give you both time away and breathing space

I do care for him so much but it’s taking the life out of me. Not really sure where I start to sort rest bite any suggestions. I know he won’t be happy about it and that does hurt me :confused:

Freddie,

Respite care would be beneficial to you both. It is not selfish to take care of yourself, if you become unwell or really unhappy, your husband will lose out big time.
In my opinion you should tell your GP and or the MS nurse that you are struggling. They will know that if you end up “broken” the cost to social services or NHS will be much higher.
Good luck to the pair of you.
Mick