New here and worried

Hi

I have just been to my GP to discuss my symptoms, which have been getting worse for a couple of weeks. I have altered sensation in my left hand, left foot and right side of my face. I have also been having dizzy episodes. I had an episode of numbness/tingling in my face about 20 years ago and had lots of tests then and the words MS were mentioned then. But as the symptoms went away, I didn`t pursue it further, until now. I am being referred to a Neurologist and have to have and ECG.

I have had other health problems including osteoarthritis caused by a congenital joint defect and have had joints replaced as a result. I am scared that I will be diagnosed with MS and how this will affect my life in addition to my other problems.

Sorry to ramble on, but I haven`t talked to anyone yet at home as my children are around.

What can I expect form the Neurologist?

Thanks

I am sorry that you are having such a worrying time.

I would suggest taking with you a brief summary of dates and symptoms now and in the past - the neurologist will want to know about all that, I should think.

As I am sure you know, there are very many symptoms that can make a person wonder about MS, but that can be caused by very many other conditions, so please try to keep an open mind. The neurologist will probably take a careful history of what has happened and will usually do a clinical exam, checking out various reflexes etc. If he/she thinks it necessary to investigate further, there might be various follow-up tests.

Please take this next bit with a pinch of salt, because it is purely a lay-person’s guess on the basis of no medical knowledge whatsoever: I would guess that, whatever turns out to be wrong, the fact that it has given you little bother in 20 years can only be good.

Good luck with it all.

Alison

Hi Fizz, welcome to the forum love.

The neuro will treat you as a new patient, I expect. He`ll do a full physical examination and will probably order tests.

It is a double blow when you already have other health issues…but there are quite a few folk here who are the same. It takes some dealing with.

Keep coming here for support, advice and even the odd laff or two.

Look after yourself and it would be best to let other family members know, so they can give you more help.

luv Pollx

Hi Fizz and welcome

I expect you will feel better once you have spoken to the neuro. He/she will be able to answer a lot of questions that you might have going round in your head. Like Poll says they will do lots of tests that will give you a definite answer so don’t worry/! Let us know how you get on and remember we are all here for you.

Take care.

Shazzie xx

Hi and thankyou all for your replies.

I have had an ECG this morning and picked up my Choose and Book referral for Neurology. I rang this through and have been told my referral will not be even looked at and then triaged until 23rd September! Even the woman at choose and book found this ridiculus! I was advised to ring my GP to see if they can expedite it. So I am waiting to hear.

I have been dizzy most of the day, and was very embarassed by my inability to remember the names of words I needed to use when I was making my appointment at the Opticians. The receptionist said maybe you should have a coffe or something and laughed. Very embarassing! I havent had my symptoms all the time for 20 years, maybe i ddint explain myself properly. I had facial numbness/tingling then and then it went away after a few months and now my hand/foot and face are having symptoms as well as the dizziness.

I am trying to keep an open mind and not worry. But I would like the Neuro assessment soon so I can know for sure.

Thanks again

Fizz

Hope you get a great neuro as this is important. Best wishes BE

Hi Fizz

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and hope all goes

well for you.

Pam x

Hi Thanks BE and Pam for your kind welcome and replies.

I will be chasing the referral up with the GP tomorrow. Gives me something positive to do!

Fizz