New Career Advice

Hello all,

I’m a first time poster but long time lurker! I was diagnosed last October after my first “attack” in June 2018. The posts here have really helped with the initial adjustment period. I’m still figuring things out and I’m sure it’s going to take a little while to get there.

The one thing I’ve not been able to find advice on is new careers. I currently work in an office role that’s quite intellectually challenging. My employer’s have been incredible and so supportive. They’ve reduced my workload, are lenient with my hours and are amazing with anything I need. I’ve been a little spoiled with them.

However, I have been thinking of a career change since long before my MS materialised. Despite how amazing my employer’s have been, it’s not a role I am passionate about and I struggle to motivate myself to get into work because I don’t enjoy the work. I applied for a scheme to become a Detective in the police as a direct entry and I’ve been successful pending a medical exam. I’m fully aware that the role will involve long hours, shift work and will be a pressurised environment. The role is similar to what I do now, but in a “heavier” environment.

My biggest symptom is fatigue which then affects my concentration and attention span at work. Also, if I’m tired, my numbness comes back with a vengeance. I’ve done a lot to overcome it including building routine with my sleep, working out more and eating super healthy.

What I would like to ask is, does anyone have experience of dealing with MS is a high stress environment? Does anyone here with MS work shifts? What tips would you give me with managing symptoms with long hours, shift work and pressurised jobs?

Does anyone here with MS work in the police, as a detective or just generally in the police? Do you have experience in how accommodating your force is? Were you able to request a relatively stable working pattern, apart from urgent cases? Is it unreasonable to ask to meet HR/ Occupational Health before I accept the offer?

Lastly, am I being stupid leaving my comfy 9-5 job that’s 10 minutes drive from my house? I have always wanted to be a detective but do I need to accept that my diagnosis will not let me follow my dreams?

As you can see I have a lot to think about and any advice would be appreciated!

I am in the same situation. Need advice.

I don’t want to burst any bubbles, but I think it would be a mistake, given the issues you already have.

I worked in an office for many years that actually had me on my feet moving at a high rate of speed through a large warehouse for most of the day. Not only was I the assistant to several managers, but I also had to train the new employees, deal with customers, and handle accounts receivable. I was then able to trade that for a similar position that was mostly sedentary. My health declined only slightly, but I knew I’d never be able to do my old job again.

When that 2nd job ended, I wound up as assistant manager of a very fast-paced convenience store. I actively worked 60 hours most weeks, all on my feet, and was on-call 24/7. I worked day shift 2 days a week, nightshift 3 days a week, and double shifts or whatever shift was needed on a regular basis. We got no breaks and were limited to 2 minutes a day in the bathroom. I loved it and had an amazing staff! I also dealt with drug addicts, the homeless, new parolees from the county jail down the road, and high-level managers who were never satisfied by anything we did. I’ll never know if it was the job or just bad timing, but that’s when I began a lengthy series of idiopathic TIA’s that they now believe were “just” MS symptoms.

Within a matter of months, I could no longer do the work. Unable to find another desk job, I worked as a cashier. While I was based in a small store, I did okay. But I was transferred to a larger store with a lot more walking, and my health began to fail even more. From there I went to a big-box store that had less walking but non-stop customers. Before too long, I had to reduce my hours and then cut them again. I could no longer walk without a cane, and I’d leave work unable to use my right arm.

Hindsight is always wonderful, but I can’t help but wonder if my deterioration in recent years was because I actually went to more active and higher-stress positions.

Listen to your heart. Alway do what you like doing and avoid things you hate doing be it a career choice or school assignments. I always hated written assignments and avoided them as much as possible using help of Best Essay Writing Services Reviews in 2022: Expert Analysis. You should listed to your desires and go for a career that inspires you