Forum

New addition to the draw not sure I'm too excited

Hi All Been to see my ms nurse for first time today. It has made me feel that I’m not on my own anymore trying to deal with diagnosi. :slight_smile: AAlso saw a OT who was great, helped a lot including showing me different cutlery. Which I went and purchased from the local community disability shop. I am pleased in that hopefully I will now be able to eat my dinner without asking someone to cut it up for me so that is good but also really scared about it and needing to get used to have lots of aids to assist me going forward. I should be positive that thesething are avavailable and can help with some sort of normality in your life but I’m only 32! I suppose this is all part of coming to terms with the diagnosi and sstarting to look forward and not let the MS take control. Just needed to post my feelings

Yay, glad you’ve managed to see your nurse and the OT. The relief of knowing you have someone on your side, fighting with you is amazing. I remember when I met my nurse for the first time, I almost didn’t want her to leave.

I’m really fortunate that I don’t need an OT or any aids at the moment, but it sounds like you’ve got a good positive attitude. As you say, it is all there to try and help you live a normal life.

MS is a bully, and by accepting the help from professionals and aids, you are showing MS who’s boss . Its a bit of a bumpy road, but you’re not alone

Trying to stay positive abou the future but am rreally scared to be honest about the future. Hardest part going to be adapting to not being abl to push mmysel to the llimit anymore which I am so used to doing. Asking for help is also really tough

Now there is something I can relate to. I’m the same, hard worker, long weeks, lots of driving, then out playing on my motorbike at the weekends. It hurts when the person you always thought you were changes. I don’t like asking for help either. But these things take time. I tried to discharge myself from hospital mid-relapse so I could go to work, but four months down the line, I had started to adapt, and not be as angry about the changes I’ve had to make.

One day at a time, and don’t be too hard on yourself

Thanks

I’ve got dx about 14 yrs ago, and hun at times you do feel down and a little “why me its not fair” but then others you’ll be feel strong. I have found that by staying as positive as possible I keep going. MS effects everyone differently, but we can all understand your feelings. My motto is ~" I’ve got MS…MS hasn’t got me" So glad you saw your OT they can be so helpful and understanding. Good luck

I’ve got dx about 14 yrs ago, and hun at times you do feel down and a little “why me its not fair” but then others you’ll be feel strong. I have found that by staying as positive as possible I keep going. MS effects everyone differently, but we can all understand your feelings. My motto is ~" I’ve got MS…MS hasn’t got me" So glad you saw your OT they can be so helpful and understanding. Good luck

I can relate to what you say about feeling happy about the new freedom, but also sad about it at the same time - I’ve had that same mix of feelings every time I’ve had to adapt to using something new - walking stick, wheelchair, catheters… I wish I didn’t have to use them, but then also wish I’d used them sooner so as to save me having struggled for so long without them.

I heard a song with the lyric ‘Everything’s going to be OK, but only when your definition of OK’s been redefined’, and that’s definitely been my experience.

Dan

Know how you feel. Ive been well up.until last relapse which has affected my left leg. Not sure it’ll get much better than this though sone say it can take a year. My new addition or accessory is a walking stick for my bag. Secretly hoping thats where it’ll stay given I’m only 32 with a young child. Not how you picture life but we do have to stay positive and I like Dianes attitude above. X x x

I feel for you OP. I’m 30 and just diagnosed. I don’t need any aids as of yet but I’m having my first relapse since I started on Copaxone. It hit me hard because I suppose I had hoped that I’d have some sort of a break from relapses and to only have a month or two is frightening. Since last September I’ve had 4 relapses and I could have really done with a break

I can imagine that getting aids is empowering but also saddening. Because it’s giving you independence but also making you realise you’re losing some…

Hope things improve for you OP, however that may be.