Forum

Neurotic about your health?

Hi all,

Does anybody else find that they are more anxious about their general health now that they have MS? I find that I worry over the smallest change in my health, worrying that things could be far worse things than they are. I think I feel that if I developed this condition I could get anything going. I never used to worry like this before I had MS.

Anyone else the same?

Btw, don’t know why the text has suddenly gone red, I didn’t press anything!

Teresa xx

I guess that having MS just tends to make health issues more of a focus on our lives, whether we want it to be or not.  I don't think we can blame ourselves for hair-trigger awareness of any change from normal. And once we've applied the 'MS?' test, and concluded, 'Probably not,'  then the mind turns automatically to thoughts of what other filtered-word thing it might be!

Having said all of which, I think I have become less bothered by other niggles, rather than more.  I'm just a bit bored with my body playing up, and can't actually muster much enthusiasm for adding to my collection of ailments.  If anything, I think I have gone a bit further the other way than is sensible, and am more inclined to stick my head in the sand than I used to be. Ah well.  We're all different!

Alison

x

Teresa the other obvious thing is, of course, that we now know beyond any possible doubt that sometimes worries about our health are absolutely justified.  We can never again be mollified by someone saying, 'Don't worry - it's probably nothing,' because we know for sure that this is not always true...

A

x

Hi Alison

Yes, I think your second comment may well be the reason why I worry more now. I can really understand you burying your head in the sand too. Both viewpoints can be easily caused by having this I guess.

Teresa xx

Yes Teresa

I never worried about my health and hardly ever went to the doctor but I get things checked out straight away these days, had a diebetis check this morning and had an eye test last week. There were good reasons for these checks but I probably would not have bothered before my dx. I do feel like a hypochondriac at times but no one believed me when I knew I had something wrong with me and I was told it was my age or I had been over working. I look after myself now.

Wendyx

No Teresa, I don't.  I know I haven't been to the Doc for over well over a year and even then I didn't bother getting the prescription made up!

I'm not burying my head in the sand, and it's not denial, but I just don't have the patience to be always going to the Doc about everything that happens. I suppose I'm lucky in that apart from MS I seem to be well, I don't seem to get other things wrong with me (touch wood!).

I don't worry though, whatever happens, happens and I'll deal with it then.

Val

If you didn’t have ms you’d be the healthiest person I know

xx

Hi Teresa,

I'm afraid I'm more in the Alison and Val camp.  I don't really go to the doctor more than I absolutely have to (far less than many people who don't have MS).  I might be in danger of treading the other side of the line, and blaming everything on "stupid MS" - which I can't be bothered to go and see about - even when there's a chance it might not be.

I went to get blood pressure and kidney function tested this morning - but only because I was told I had to!  I think my doctor will stop prescribing my painkillers and oral contraceptives if I won't comply with the routine monitoring. ;)

Blood pressure was alright, to my surprise, even though I've been extremely stressed lately.

Kidney function, I won't find out about 'til next week.  Dunno what we'll do if that's packing up, 'cos I'll be in a sorry state if I'm not allowed my painkillers any more.  While I was in there, I begged a favour, and asked to get my vitamin D checked as well - fully expecting to be refused.  To my surprise, the nurse said: "Of course, it's easy - it can all be done on the same vial; I'll just tick an extra box!"

So that was one positive thing.  I'll be able to find out whether I'm maintaining it at suitable levels (and I don't mean the ones recommended by the NHS!), or whether I need to up my supplements.

T.

x

Thanks for your input everyone. It’s very interesting how everyone feels. Tina,I’d like to get my vit D levels checked but when I asked my GP she said I could but would have to have it done at the local hospital as they need a ‘fresh’ blood sample. I can’t be faffed though! I’ll get it done eventually.

Teresa xx

LoL - that’s why I bypassed the GP, and just asked the nurse directly, when I was up there getting bled for something else. :wink:

She agreed it was sensible just to do it, as they could use the same blood, and not have to make a GP’s appointment just to get permission, and then come back for a second bloodtest. Thank goodness some people are still willing to show initiative these days, and say: “Of course that would be sensible!”, and not: “Oh dear, I’m not sure, you’ll have to ask your doctor…”

She was a bit confused about MS, though. Because I asked about Vitamin D testing, she assumed it was a bone thing. I explained that actually, MS is not a “bone thing”, but a “brain thing”, but that many people with MS have been found to have very low Vitamin D levels.

I’m surprised a practice nurse didn’t know basics, such as that MS is a neurological disease. Luckily, her ignorance of the reasons for my request didn’t prompt her to say no.

T.

x

l had a blood test at my GP's - last week - for b12 and d3 - so it can be done at the doctors surgery. l know the 'blood wagon' picks up the samples mid-day - so they only do blood tests in the morning. But vitd3 can be tested just from a pinprick blot test.

Tina - l am never surprised how ignorant our medical folk are about ms.

This post has jogged my memory about asking for the results of my test. l do know not to take any notice if they say the results are within the excepted levels - make sure you get the actual amount of the level. As the first vitd3 test l had came back as 23nmols -and l was told it was ok. Frightening isn't it - are lives are in their hands!!

This is only the second time - in 30yrs - l have had my b12 tested.  So it just goes to show that am at fault for not being more forceful - l rarely go to the docs - so l expect they think l am 'better'. lf you go to often they think you are a hypochondriac. lts striking a happy medium.

F.

Oh boy,

You just can’t believe the level of ignorance amongst medically trained folk! It makes you worry about our lives in their hands. Frances what nmols range should we be in?

Teresa xx

Hi Teresa, We should be between 150/225nmols.

F.

That’s what they say to me at work. xx

[quote=“Campion”]

Hi Teresa, We should be between 150/225nmols.

F.

[/quote] Thanks very much for that Frances. Teresa xx

I think this is normal behaviour for any medical condition that may have 'new' symptoms or 'changes'.  I have epilepsy and diabetes, and from what I've learned from other people is that worrying about every little change causes most people to worry and become a bit of a hyperchondriac!  As epilepsy can affect anything that's a huge scope for worry.   With diabetes you have to monitor how you are feeling as part of monitoring yourself so you stop going into a hypo!

Hi there,

Actually for me it's been the other way around! Before I was diagnosed I was much more anxious about my health, and terrified that something was wrong and went to the doctor quite a lot - a lot to do with MS symptoms I realise now. When I found out I had a serious chronic health condition I just started to relax about health worries generally.  I mean, I don't skip around worry free about my MS - of course not - but other stuff - I don't really think about it, other than I know I need to try and stay as healthy as I can! Doing much better with taking each day as it comes with the MS too.

I do hope that in time your anxieties lessen. Are you recently diagnosed? Have you thought about CBT ?

xx

As one head-in-sand-burier to another, I hope you won’t mind me suggesting that, as stomach ulcers (unlike some things!) are pretty easy to cure, now they’ve found out that it just takes the right antibiotic to do the job, there is a pretty good case for making an exception here and fessing up to the doc…?

Alison

x

Thanks for all your input guys. Yes I am recently dx Fizz and have not considered CBT but I’m hoping I will become less anxious as time goes by.

Teresa xx

For the six years between the first noticeable symptom that I consulted a dr about and eventual diagnosis, I was very anxious, I knew something was wrong, even when I was doing ok I was nervous about my health. Since I was diagnosed I am much less anxious about my health. I do get nervous about a lot of other things but that’s just what I’m like. I hardly ever go the dr and I just try to get on with things as best I can. No point worrying.

Cheryl:-)