Neuro test query......

I have a couple of questions about certain things involved in a Neuro test:

I was wondering if anyone knows what the normal response is when they scrape the bottom of your foot?

Also, I’m assuming that knee reflexes should be more or less the same on both legs??

Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

When they scrape the sole of your foot the big toe should point down upwards respose ia known as babinski response. And yes reflexes are usually the same to both sides A

Sorry appalling spelling thought had corrected all my mistypes

I also saw on TV the other day that the knee reflexes shouldn’t be too strong as this is a sign of MS. I wondered why they got excited at my reflexes in hospital. And I wondered about the scrape too.

I also saw on TV the other day that the knee reflexes shouldn’t be too strong as this is a sign of MS. I wondered why they got excited at my reflexes in hospital. And I wondered about the scrape too.

Sorry I don’t know why that posted twice

Thanks arwen and Pud for your replies.

I was just wondering cos my foot didn’t respond at all when my Neuro did the scrape thingy, and one of my knee reflexes was way stronger than the other. I saw him frown and he did them again, with the same result.

I know I really should stop trying to second-guess everything, but when you’re still firmly in ‘limboland’ you just can’t help it…well, I can’t anyway!

I totally get it about limboland. I am signed off work, in pain, stiffening by the minute and have nothing else to do but panic about what might happen to me. I have so many questions I could flood the board but I am trying to stop myself. If you want to pm me feel free.

Hello, A normal response to foot scraping (Babinski) are toes going downwards. Toe pointing upwards is a positive sign(abnormal). Mine was mute on one foot and normal in the other. Sam x

Reflexes should be the same both sides from what I can work out. Mine was slightly stronger one side than the other but she still said it was normal! I can honestly say I don’t know what many of my responses were as she was so quick and I got confused as to what I was supposed to be moving. So not much help really!!

S x

Hi PD,

I just found this…

"In the knee-jerk and triceps reflex tests, the neurologist looks for brisk or exaggerated reflex responses (hyper-reflexia) and symmetry of response between left and right halve of the body, which can indicate an abnormality in the CNS. ".

Mags :slight_smile:

exagerated knee reflexes and positive babinski sign (toe upwards) mean that there is something wrong with the spinal cord. This could also mean that a disc is pressing on the cord. In someone who only has brain lesions then knee reflexes and babinski are normal.

I have a positive babinski on right foot - notmal on left. Knee reflex is more exagerated on right also.

Moyna xxx