Hi - I’ve read quite a few posts on here and websites to get my head round this turn of events and not sure at all what to think but I guess he is probably right. I have a neurologist appointment for 11th Jan but my GP is now trying to expedite that.
- Constipation since aged 15 - my bowel has never worked well but has almost totally stopped several times over the last two years, leading to impaction. Colonoscopy was entirely clear.
- Age 28ish I saw a neurologist for pins and needles/numbness and weakness in left limbs, hand and foot. The MRI was clear and there were no untoward neurological signs at the appointment.
- Age 32ish I had a check up at the optician and they said I had ‘pale nerve endings’ and asked if I’d ever suffered from pins and needles or anything. I said yes but dismissed it.
- This year in March (age 42) I had some possible virus or post-fatigue thing with dreadful tiredness, my blood tests showed extremely low white blood cells and platelets but slightly raised inflammatory marker (CRP). I also suffered mild-medium vertigo in the classroom and felt like an unco-ordinated stumbly klutz.
- Beginning of June I started to have an awful roaring in my left ear + (pain/pressure?) in left side of head triggered by computer hum, xbox games, low planes overhead, trucks rumbling by etc. Incredibly unpleasant and lasted throughout the summer. I also had a constant feeling of weird flu-like skin on that left side of my scalp (which has still never ceased since June).
- September I saw an ENT specialist where I also reported I was starting to feel some tingling down the left side of my nose and possibly in my left hand. She said my ears were fine but ordered an MRI to look at the inner ear and see and said I should see a neurologist.
- The MRI was clear so I said I’ll recover in time and don’t think I need a neurologist!
- Thurs 10th November I had the ear roaring plus strong tingling in my left calf and a numb left foot for several hours. I already had tingling across my left face which had spread from that original nose tingling, subtle tingling in my left hand and weakness in my left arm. I saw the doc and he said he wanted me to see a neurologist. This time I agreed.
- Weds 17th I had an awful attack of the ear roaring with pain behind the ear which lasted into Thursday plus I was so so tired. I saw doc again and he instantly wrote a sick note for me to take a week off work and said he’d expedite the neuro appt. That evening the muscle above my left knee started twitching - we could watch it!
- From Sat 19th to Weds 23rd I felt incedibly nauseous each morning. I went to bed Weds morning and that was when I had my first head and right arm jerkings. My arm had a life of its own. That was scary.
- Since then the jerkings have increased to happen every time I relax - whether sat on sofa, going to sleep at night or even today sat at my desk at school! Since Friday these have often been accompanied by a tight contraction of my abdomen which is unpleasant but only lasts 10/20 seconds or so - it’s a real work out! The longest lasting ones squeeze my bladder as well and I have lost some urine during it a couple of times!
This is beginning to depress me now and I am such a chirpy person but I think these muscle jerks and contractions might have confirmed in my head the doctors suspicions.
I know I need the neuro appt for a proper diagnosis but any insight from members who know so much more about this than I do would be much appreciated.