Multiple Sclerosis Hug or Girdle

Anyone every experience this? If so was there anything you found helped, as iv been experiencing it for sometime now, it’s pretty much what the title say’s it feels like your being given a bear hug and the muscles in your sides feel very tight

Hi Kevin,

I think people experience this different ways, so it’s hard to know whether we’re talking about the same thing or not.

However, I have found the anti-spasticity drug Baclofen has reduced occurrence of what I ASSUME to be the so-called “hug”.

Also, when I do still get it, I seem to find sitting, leaning forward (head toward knees) helps, for some unexplained reason. I’m not sure this is true for everyone; you may have to experiment yourself, and see if there’s a position that’s more comfortable (or at least less uncomfortable) for you.

Tina

Hi Kevin,

For some unfathomnable reason the MSS does not have much on this quite common sotom.

See http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/pageid/1418

Thanks for the replies, that’s the site i was just reading when i popped in here i have constant discomfort with it, but every so often it will become a pain as if someone is squeezing my side, and every now and than it leaves me breathless, thanks again for the replies i will keep trying new things and hopefully find one which helps with the pain/discomfort

Hi Kevin, I get hug a lot… yep it’s a real bug*er to deal with. I’ve copied and pasted my advice below. I realise you’re a bloke so please excuse bra advice… but might be useful for a woman reading post:

It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:

· Much worse in heat… like right now!

· Much worse when fatigued or stressed

· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)

· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better (this inc knickers… take em off!)

· Avoid large meals… little and often is better

· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps

· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s

· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it

· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better

· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)

· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal

Hope it helps,

Pat x

i tried to avoid medication but amytriptyline helped me.

hope it eases for u soon.

ellie x

Cool i’ll try those suggestions, thought this means i can’t wear my bra anymore lol thanks guys/girls