MS Hug Tightness Alone or Tightness and Pain

Hiya everyone

Just wondered how many of us who suffer with the hug get both tightness and occasional pain or just the tightness.

I have suffered with the hug for a few years now and have only suffered the tightness for that time but the last couple of days I am getting pain in that area too.

I assume it is connected to the hug because I have read on here that you can get pain with the hug as well as the tightness.

Have a nice Sunday.

Thanks maties.

Shazzie xx

When I get the tightness I get pain as well- it varies in degrees ,length of time and is random.I now know that if I move a certain way using my left side it can trigger it.

As Polar Bear said its like contractions .I always joke that wish it would drop lower and I’d get a six pack!!

Had it really bad once felt like rib muscles were trying to turn themselves inside out! Now that was really sore

Is the pain in the tightness or is it just general pain in chest?

I ask cos I used to get pain in chest alongside the spasm and it was heartburn On opremazole now and just get the hug with the pain from that.

Hope that made sense

Hi Jen and Gladys

Thanks for your helpful replies.

It isn’t actually in the chest. It is the ribs on the left. I have had the hug there for years and mentioned it to my neuro and he said it was the hug as the area there has always been numb too.

Pain lasts for about 3mins then disappears. Really odd.

Shazzie xx

I’ve had pain in my right ribs a few rimes, a dull ache but with shooting pains. Not sure of it’s the hug or not x

Exactly like me Ms C. Really hurts for a bit doesn’t it? Then it goes away.

I’ll mention it when I speak with my MS nurse next and let you know what she says.

Shazzie xxx=

Hi Sazzie, you probably have your own tips that help… but here’s a ‘copy & paste’ list that might be useful.

The "one paracetamol plus one ibuprofin’ is a great combo for the pain… no more than 3 times a day.

It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:

· It can go all around your rib area, or only in part of rib area… up high on ribs or low down on

· ribs… or it can be only on one side of ribs

· It can feel tight without pain, or it can be tight and painful

· Sometimes the affected area will be extremely itchy

· Much worse in heat

· Much worse when fatigued or stressed

· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)

· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better

· Avoid large meals… little and often is better

· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps… although some people find lying down makes it worse… so try different positions to see if one works better for you

· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s… or try one Paracetamol & one Ibuprofin (no more than 3 times a day)

· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it

· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better

· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)

· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal

· Recently I’ve discovered that if I eat something small, eg bowl of cereal, it seems to relieve the hug for a while. Not sure why but it’s worth a try.

· I have read that some people find relief by tying something tight around the affected area (a scarf maybe). So it might be worth trying to see if it works for you.

Pat x

Thank you so much Pat. That is so helpful. It blimmin hurts when it happens but at least it goes away. Even if it does come back.

Thanks again for your reply.

Shazzie xx

Hi, I get pain and tightness. Thought I was having a heart attack the first time it happened and I usually vomit when its finished. Its pretty grim but easier to cope with when you know it will finish. horrid though - wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Thanks Stans mum. I am really grateful for your reply. I has really helped.

It is the same sort of pain as the spasm I get in my foot so I am sure it is to do with the hug. Like you say, it is horrible. Like you say it does go after a few minutes so will keep thinking about that if/when it happens again.

Shazzie xx

Pat’s list is a good one :slight_smile:

I really thought I was quite lucky when I realised what was going on that it really is just tightness for me… Unless I laugh really hard! And then it’s full on cramp round my ribcage and I usually need a wee too :frowning:

So laughing ‘so hard it hurts’ if far more of a common occurence for me and it’s rubbish! :wink: Luckily my life is not too hysterical most of the time but you probably know what I mean…

Sonia xx

Like me Sonia. Feels like cramp. Definitely a spasm.

I thought I had twisted funny when it first happened the other day but I am sure it isn’t that.

Thanks Sonia

Shazzie xx

It’s come on this morning again, as I’ve woken up/come round. Add it to the neck and eye pain, and today is going to be challenging. Just call me Anneka. Haha x

It’s come on this morning again, as I’ve woken up/come round. Add it to the neck and eye pain, and today is going to be challenging. Just call me Anneka. Haha x

Does anyone know if surgery could trigger this? About 18mths ago I had a lap gallbladder removal usually only a day case but I was in 2 days as I couldn’t breathe properly due to severe pain in my rt side of back this lasted 3 weeks and I couldn’t wear a bra, stand totally straight, touch my back etc due to pain felt like all my muscles had locked on that side. Must add that wasn’t only reason kept in I also couldn’t wee as bladder went numb when I could go it was luck and for a few days I took myself to the loo by the clock as still no sensation. Axx

I am 73. In May this year left leg became numb and weak and I experienced dizziness and problems with balance. Then, after a stroke was ruled out I had loss of hearing in left ear and leg situation worsened. steroids seemed to relieve ear. In September and again in October had hearing loss in left ear and left leg became weaker. Feel very fatigued. Have noticed increase in floaters in left eye and now get indigestion and pain behind top left rib. Could this be LOMS? MRIs have been ok so far. Seeing neurosurgeon soon. Doctor says it could be LOMS. Am fairly sanguine about things but would like yo know. Thank you for being out there! I am in Oz but used to feature writer for UK tabloid. Never wrote about this though! You did good with the cricket! Savannah

I am 73. In May this year left leg became numb and weak and I experienced dizziness and problems with balance. Then, after a stroke was ruled out I had loss of hearing in left ear and leg situation worsened. steroids seemed to relieve ear. In September and again in October had hearing loss in left ear and left leg became weaker. Feel very fatigued. Have noticed increase in floaters in left eye and now get indigestion and pain behind top left rib. Could this be LOMS? MRIs have been ok so far. Seeing neurosurgeon soon. Doctor says it could be LOMS. Am fairly sanguine about things but would like yo know. Thank you for being out there! I am in Oz but used to feature writer for UK tabloid. Never wrote about this though! You did good with the cricket! Savannah