MS Hug or winceyette whinger?

Well done Mick. Painful sleep and discomfort horrible. Is your avatar ram yours? I love him x

Cheers Slug,

We met the Ram while he was posing in Ireland. I thought he represented my style and intellect, although his written work is probably better.

Fingers crossed the deep breathing and stretches will continue to work.

Cheers Mick

Mick,

If you resemble your ram, then you must be a very handsome chap indeed.

I don’t know about his written work but it must be pretty good, and he does well to manage with hooves. Mind you, I think a decent pair of hooves would probably manage better handwriting than me these days!

Keep with the program, I hope your pain stays within manageable limits

Sue x

Sue,

I can’t say what I resemble in polite company, rest assured that Ram chops is an aspirational look. As for hand writing forget it, I can use my non dominant hand to address an envelope in black capitals that a 5 year old could be proud of. Fortunately my key board skills and speed are just as slow as they were pre MS days.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Pleased to meet you. This reminds me of something that a bloke in the USA wrote on his website, “MS Sucks”, a few years ago. It’s closed down now but he was a highly articulate, and extremely angry person.

The MS Perspective Kit

1. One complete set of videotapes of any soap opera.

2. One large pot of coffee.

3. Two pairs of panty-hose, both one or two sizes too small.

4. One pair of rubber gloves.

5. One set of weighted wrist and ankle straps, 5 pounds in weight.

6. One leather belt.

7. Two bungee cords, each approximately two feet in length.

First select a jerk. Banding is the feeling that you have tight bands wound around your middle. We’re going to simulate that using the two pairs of too-small panty-hose. Make him put them on, one on top of the other. Then let him dress as if he’s going to work. You can cut the legs off the panty-hose, we just need the tightness in the gut.

We’re going to simulate numbness in the hands by using the rubber gloves. Make him wear them. Use duct tape to hold them on if necessary.

We’ve got off to a good start with the sleepless night, the “Crossroads” reruns, and the pot of coffee. Now we’re ready to get serious. Strap the wrist and ankle weights on him. Make sure they’re good and tight. You can buy them in most stores that carry exercise equipment.

To simulate spasticity, get the bungee cords and hook one end of each into a wrist strap and the other end into his belt (make sure it’s a good, strong leather belt that can take the strain). The idea is that each time he has to raise his arms, he has to fight the bungee cords, just like some MS sufferers have to fight their own spastic muscles.

How’s that for starters?

It helps me to objectify these symptoms. It makes it less personal and I can blame it on the MS Monster.

A.

2 Likes

Nice one A,

lf I wanted to simulate spasm I could use my FES (known as my Taser) and stick the electrodes on to different muscles or nerves and wind the power up to “unpleasant” level 3.

Watching Crossroads would be too extreme.

On the positive side, my deep breathing seems to be helping to stretch the “hug” muscles in my back and ribs. I am very happy about this.

M