Forum

MS has a bit of everything

When someone asks me about MS, IF they know anything, it’s usually that it affects a person’s ability to walk. If only it was that simple. We (MSers) have a little of almost every disease to deal with. Think about it, the brain controls everything the body does. MS causes brain damage and causes nerve pathways to misfire. Like people with Rheumatoid Arthritis, we have joint pain and inflammation. Like Diabetics, we have neuropathy in our feet. Unfortunately we usually have that same nerve damage throughout our body. We can also lose our vision. Like a person with Lupus, we can have heart issues. Like a person with ADHD, we have trouble focusing. Like a person with Cancer, our body is killing itself. We rely on toxic medication that compromises our immune system, have radiation, and our quality of life is not great. Like a person whose had a Stroke, we can lose our ability to speak, have one-sided body weakness, lose the use of our limbs, etc. Like a person with Alzheimer’s, we have problems with our memory. It may be short term or may last forever. Like a person with Parkinson’s we have body tremors.
And what MS doesn’t do, it makes us more vulnerable to comorbities. We deal with everything listed above. Widespread pain, chronic fatigue, trouble breathing, depression, anxiety, muscle spasms, trouble eating and digesting food, bladder and bowel problems, on and on. On top of this we have to deal with most of our symptoms being invisible. Not only are we judged by strangers, co-workers, friends, and family but also the medical profession that has taken an oath to help those suffering. So don’t ever call us weak.

5 Likes

Good point, bloody well put!

Deafness?

Pollsx

Oh mark…

u make me sound like a superhero!

reality is I am just trying to live my life-like everybody else on the planet. Have never felt the need to point out what I have cope with because everybody has their own issues.

others judge us but that ain’t one sided! (apparently able bodied person walking out disabled loo springs to mind!)

Hope you re still as happy as the last time that you were around?

ellie x

2 Likes

Well, from the Barts blog, various problems with hearing, "Hearing loss is rare, is more common in one ear and tends to recover. This would indicate that sudden hearing loss in MS is usually due to a relapse, but obviously, can have other causes.’ Multiple Sclerosis Research: ClinicSpeak: hearing problems in MSers; are we underestimating them?

In 2011 I had tinnitus in my right ear & it then progressed to practically no hearing in same ear. I also had other symptoms relating to my mobility. I could barely stand without falling over. I called my MS nurse who advised it was highly unlikely that my hearing loss was due to my MS as it was very rare. Turned out to be a brain stem relapse, lasted a couple of months. My hearing is more or less back to normal. Annie

1 Like

I think if you told anyone exactly what we go through they would wonder how we still get through the day. I am quite a strong person however recently family both in law and my own seem to think they can say what ever they like and i am going to give them the time of day. Husband says i am too sensitive now strange what MS can do

1 Like

Hi,

I have most of the symptoms you mentioned but did not think they were related to my ms. I do get joint pain and inflammation but didn’t join the first.

I would how common these symptoms are as you don’t hear about them as often?

Christine

There’s lots of symptoms that are maybe a bit rarer so we don’t hear about them. Here’s a list from the MS Trust: https://www.mstrust.org.uk/understanding-ms/ms-symptoms-and-treatments/symptoms

And yet there are still others that apparently can be connected to MS.

Sue

It seems that every time they talk about the symptoms of some condition people should be aware of, the symptoms also apply to MS. I see the FAST information snippets about strokes and know that every symptom occurs with MS - I’ve had them all! Alzheimer’s? Yup. Sepsis? That, too. The main difference with certain conditions is the sudden onset of symptoms, but MS symptoms can come on suddenly, so that doesn’t really help.

I love the fact that our customer disabled loo now has a sign saying ‘not all disabilities are visible’