MS brain pill: this looks like it could happen!

See link below from article in today’s Daily Mirror (if link won’t open just go to Daily Mirror website and put ‘Multiple Sclerosis’ in search box. Article is called DAILY BRAIN PILL ‘COULD CURE MS’. A quote from the MSS makes me think this is a genuine claim. They are talking about cure in about 7 years!!! http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health-news/2011/09/23/daily-pill-to-prevent-or-even-cure-multiple-sclerosis-in-pipeline-doctors-claim-115875-23439449/ Pat x :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Pat, This is the first I’ve heard of it! Excellent, if true, although I do think 7 years is wildly optimistic. This particular story doesn’t feature yet (perhaps a bit soon, if it’s only been published today, but I found NHS Choices has a good resource for exploring the truth behind “medical” headlines. http://www.nhs.uk/News/Pages/NewsIndex.aspx Tina x

Cant believe it sent wife of to get me the paper. It sounds to good to betrue. I realy want to beleve it as it will help us msers[the goverment will save billions in dla]and we can all look for jobs. Where has this drug been hiding. If not true they should hang the b#####d. Best Regards, Chris

Chris it works on mice in the lab… (puts me in uncomfortable situation as I don’t like experiments on animals)… however I assume they’ll start human trials soon. The work has been done in Canada where they have very high incidence of MS. I feel very optimistic about this one. :wink: Pat x

Oh I do wish it will happen. In 7 years I’ll be 60 - what a brilliant birthday pressie that would be!! Clare (a Bear with a little bit of hope in the heart today.)

chriskerr wrote:

Cant believe it sent wife of to get me the paper. It sounds to good to betrue. I realy want to beleve it as it will help us msers[the goverment will save billions in dla]and we can all look for jobs. Where has this drug been hiding. If not true they should hang the b#####d. Best Regards, Chris

It probably has a grain of truth, Chris, in the sense that I expect it really has shown promise in mice. But it’s a long way from that, to talk of a successful cure “in seven years”. I don’t think anybody’s deliberately lying, but I don’t think it will turn out to be true. I read somewhere that the proportion of “promising” new drugs that eventually make it to successful use in humans is about 1 in 1000. So there’s a 999 chance in 1000 that this one isn’t the lucky one. Then again, it might be… If you keep trying long enough, eventually, one of them will be. Tina

This has been mentioned on the MSTrust website. News & stories | MS Trust quote: ‘People with MS have low levels of an important brain steroid 23 September 2011 Author: MS Trust This steroid may provide a neuroprotective therapy option for MS in the future. Researchers in Canada have found that the levels of the neurosteroid, allopregnanolone were reduced in the brain of people with MS. Neurosteroids, such as allopregnanolone, are involved in protecting brain cells, helping them grow, and controlling immune responses in the brain. It has been proposed that neurosteorids may be used as biomarkers of disease activity. Treating people with MS with allopregnanolone may offer a potential treatment in the future. The treatment with allopregnanolone in an animal model of MS already shows promise. The aim will be to develop a drug for people with MS containing neurosteroid allopregnanolone, or a closely related compound, in the next 10-15 years.’ I do hope it take 10-15 DAYS 'cos I could do with a ‘cure’ NOW!

i just read this cos my husband told me there was going to be a cure but on reading it i found in the middle "Dr Power said … we found the mice showed a 50% reduction in ms disease severity in the brain and we are talking about it being at least 6 or 7 years then we have to have them say we can have it on the nhs just like the other pill that was going to help us too … yeh ill beleive it when i see it and hope its not too late xxx

Yet another fantastic breakthrough for mice everywhere. I wonder if it cures all rodents?

The thought occurs to me that if only they would stop giving mice MS they wouldn’t need to cure them of it the first place.

Greetings to all, Today i have phone call after phone calling telling me about this new wonder pill. I reserve jugement. Its so soul destroying when you get your hopes up to be nocked back. I,m just going to wait and see. It would be the answer to our prayers. Love to all, Domestic Goddess. x

Well I sort of agree with everyone really. Yes it’s a bit of a long shot… 50% of mice etc… but on other hand ANY new research and info about MS has to be good news. We are on the way to a cure. It’s just a matter of time. People used to dream of something that would stop infections killing people (when a small scratch from a rose thorn could potentially kill you), and now we take Penicillin and antibiotics for granted. No it won’t be tomorrow, but young people with MS have every reason to be optimistic (even us oldies I hope) and one day it will be something talked about from history like polio or dyptheria (spelling??)… Wishing everyone a great weekend, Pat x.