MS and bowel problems

Hi, I have just joined the forum. My mum has had MS for almost 50 years and my dad has been her full-time carer for the last 30 years at least. She is in a wheelchair all the time now but manages to get out of bed and downstairs each day. Getting out of the house is a problem though due to her bowel movements. Typical to MS, if mum feels she needs to go there is not always a lot of time for dad to get her to the bathroom. At times this had led to ‘accidents’ when they are out, which puts them off going out again. Does anyone have any advice as to how this could be better managed? Maybe suppositories to get mum into a regular cycle? Any tips or advice would be very helpful. Thanks everyone.

Hi,

I use the Peristeen system which is like a self administered irrigation. The water pressure helps send signals that enable bowel movements, this means I can be 99% sure that I wont have a problem when I go out. Take a look on Google then discuss with GP or MS nurse.
Good luck
Mick

1 Like

Hi Mick, thank you so much for responding. I will definitely look into this for my mum. Best wishes, Suzanne

1 Like

hi well done to your mum 50 years with MS and still going out.

I have developed really bad constipation. i did speak to my doctor who said it sounded a bit like gastroparsis, as i didnt empty enough and when i did it was big. i have uncomfortable stomach etc. anyway i have started to use Glycerine suppositories they are not invasive to get into a routine it has worked as i went on my own yesterday and a last week.

it sounds like your mums signals are not doing a full empty job so she has left over which causes her to soil herself. I do that a bit myself and constantly cleaning myself. I am waiting to talk to neurologist again to see if i can get this sorted. although mine isnt urgent like your mums.

glycerine suppositories are good because they are natural. they make it easier to go and empty. but i have also heard of the system @Mogace mentioned and was going to discuss it with my neuro.

its nice to read that a daughter is caring so much about her mum. You know thats the best medicine for us when we have MS. xxxxxx

Hi there,
Yes persistent could be a good option. However there is a new system of anal irrigation called Quofora mini go. It is smaller and neater than persistent.
Good luck
Min xx

1 Like

that looks interesting, there may be pros and cons for each system.
M