MRI

Hi sorry to bother you, but I had a MRI 2 weeks ago, and was told the results were taking 6-7 weeks to go back to GP, unless there was something to be concerned about. This morning I had a call from my GP receptionist asking if the GP could call me on Tuesday to discuss the results. Would he tell me over the phone if there was a chance of having MS?

Thanks in advance

Gill

Hi

I think sometimes they do, but I don’t think it’s a good way in doing it. Usually it’s the neurologist that confirms whether you have MS not your GP. They are the only ones that are qualified to do so.

Kay

1 Like

Thanks Kay. Do you think the GP would call me to say he was referring me to a neurologist?

A GP cannot diagnose MS. At all. They could refer you to a neurologist, but then they probably should have done that before ordering an MRI, or simultaneously.

I suspect if the GP thinks there’s something visible on the MRI, they’ll refer you to a neurologist. Then again how about that patient care? Have the receptionist tell you the GP wants to speak to you in 4 days time! So is prepared to leave you worrying about it all weekend!!

Beyond annoying. If it were me, I’d have tried to insist the phone call took place today! But then maybe the GP is planning to say ‘there’s nothing to worry about’!! It’s irrelevant, they shouldn’t leave you all weekend to fret.

Sue

Thanks Sue. I think I’m just going to have to try and put it out of my mind until Tuesday. Pretty hard to do I know, but like you say there may be nothing wrong at at all.

Gill