Forum

MRI Question

Hello

Wonder if anyone can help? When I first developed symptoms in my legs my doc odered me a lower MRI scan.

Because my symptoms had got worse they decided for a full MRI.

I have had an appointment through for a spine lumber/sacral MRI is this the one for the lower back only?

If it is should I cancel it or should I have both?

Cervical spine is the top part of your spIne that connects your spine to your brain. The sacrum is the lower part of your spine so from the base of your spine (your bottom) to the middle part the spine. Lumbar MRI is the middle part to the upper part of your back. Hope that all makes sense. But in relation to your question about whether you should have both - yes definitely! Even though you’ve had one MRI previously things can change on an MRI over time so very wise that they are doing another MRI. Hope that all helps

Here’s a map of the spine http://www.makoa.org/scimap.htm

Yes most definitely go for both; they are not painful; bit noisy; what am I going on about you have already had one; duh silly me!

The reason why your Neoro asked for a full MRI; brain and spine?

To explain every instruction comes from the brain; travels along pathways called nerves. Your spine is more or less a thin; bony; flexible structure that carries millions of nerves.

The brain is a wide open space lesions usually do show. In the spine however it is so tightly packed sometimes; not often they do not show.

This also depends on the resolution of your MRI. NHS MRIs are usually 1.5 Tesla but to get a good resolution you need at least 3 T.

Good luck; they must have compelling evidence you have lesion/s on your spine or brain because if the do not image your brain it isn’t gonna show.

George

Lumbar & Sacral are lower back, lumbar starting just below your rib cage & the sacrum being the part near to your bum

the order of your spine is cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral

Hope this helps a bit, might be worth calling whoever has ordered your mri and see what they say, see if it can save you a journey going back another time & free up some space for someone else when yours is done in one day ? Just an idea, they may still say go for 2 separate, who knows how some of these dr’s think lol x

Sorry guys I don’t think I have explained it correctly!

I haven’t had any MRI scans yet, he ordered one for just lower back, but then when symptoms spread to my arms (just a few days later) he ordered a full MRI. (by he I mean my GP)

So my appointment has come through for the lower back, I am still waiting for the other MRI appointment.

My question is do I need to have both MRI scans?

Hope that’s a little clearer it sounded right in my head! lol

Sorry guys I don’t think I have explained it correctly!

I haven’t had any MRI scans yet, he ordered one for just lower back, but then when symptoms spread to my arms (just a few days later) he ordered a full MRI. (by he I mean my GP)

So my appointment has come through for the lower back, I am still waiting for the other MRI appointment.

My question is do I need to have both MRI scans?

Hope that’s a little clearer it sounded right in my head! lol