MRI cancelled after I refused contrast

Had a number of scans with different contrasts over the years - only real problem I’ve ever encountered is ‘hunt the vein’ to get a line in (How many bits of taped on cotton wool can one person achieve?!).

The only side effect I’ve ever had was from Iodine 131 and that was more amusing that scary. Almost immediately it is injected you develop a strangely warm sensation around the nether regions as though you have just wet yourself - and given the fact that I’d had to drink a large jug of contrast as well as having it injected - this was not something I wanted to feel!

Thankfully the nurse in charge warned me about the ‘warm sensation’ whilst hunting for a vein and then during the scans came over the speakers and said “OK - contrast going in now…Yes - that’s the bit I mentioned - it’s OK - you haven’t.”

I didn’t notice any effects from the contrast with my last MRI

Sonia x

I think that those of us who refer to ourselves as immunocompromised are doing so as a result of our immune system being compromised by the medication that often suppresses the immune system and basically causes impairment in order to hopefully slow down the speed of the disease.

Since I posted this, I’ve gone on to have 2 MRI’s with contrast. No issues.It was just me being a typical mardy scorpio lol

2 Likes

I never had any problems with the contrast until my last mri in November. I felt a horrible burning in my arm and afterwards my fatigue was horrible and I felt queasy. Approximately 48 hours later I felt better but I was in bed for those 48 hours confused by what happened. I never want contrast again. It may have been an isolated incident but it scared me. I am glad that you did not have any additional issues! :slight_smile:

I have not been diagnosed with MS. I found this form when I was searching for side effects of CT and MRI scans.

I had a CT scan in December and needed a visit to A&E 4 days later- the contrast medium caused my urinary catheter to block completely as it exited my body = 5 hours of excruciating pain and all the hassle of A&E.

My doc now wants me to have an MRI scan ----NOT LIKELY !

I think there are different contrast agents used for different mri scans. My mum had one she had 2 hours before the scan and had to stay clear of pregnant women. She then had to go to a dedicated toilet after. In terms of our contrast scans they use gadiulum or however you spell it. There can be severe side effects if you have kidney failure i.e on dialysis. That’s why they ask before the scan. The first ms contrast scan I felt slightly nauseous and faint, second scan no issues. I’ve also had a contrast mri after a broken wrist and no issues with that one as well. I think as long as you answer the survey questions honestly there is probably only a tiny risk.