mri and lumbur puncture refferal

hi everyone,

i went to see a nuroligist on friday, after expericeing different symtoms…

at the examination i fully expected her to tell me nothing was wrong, so was very shocked when she said she wants me to have a mri and lumbar puncture, she said the first thing they will look for is ms, but will also screen for auto immine disease and that i have weakness on my left side so i might have had a small stroke at some point.

im in a bit of shock, even though a few months ago i was wondering if t could be ms, i really had put that out of my head. i have been diagnosed about 7 months ago as having slightly low b12, vitamin d, and calcium but not extremly low and have been on treatment for these since then

i dont know whether to panic, or convince myself it could be to do with the vitamin b12…i have 2 teenagers, 2 babies and a husband who works away from home, i struggle to cope just now when things are bad, and really dont know how i will if things might get worse

sorrr i dont even knw what im asking, i guess im wondering if nueros are usually cautios and test u or is it because it does look likley to be ms?

and is a lumbar puncture really painful?

thanks to anyone who reads this

lisa xxx

Hi Lisa

There are so many neurological conditions that can cause symptoms simmilar to those found in MS, so it’s very hard to say without futher investigation exactly what the problem could be. The fact that your neurologist is sending you for a MRI and LP is a good sign that she is trying to work things out for you and does not mean that you definitly have MS. Like you say it could be something as simple as a b12 deficiency. The neuro and you will know more soon, so no don’t panic!

The Lumbar Puncture does not hurt as they use anesthetic to numb the area first, it’s a bit uncomfortable but nothing to worry about- especially if you have had 4 children! The best thing you can do for yourself right now is try not to worry about the tests, be as kind to yourself as you can, ask for help from friends and family if your struggling and keep an open mind. Good luck.

Hope that helps a bit

Laura x

thank you so much for your reply laura, just wish it could all hurry up now ! xxx

Hi Lisa,

I am new to all this too I was sent to A&E due to numbess in my face and they thought it was a stroke which was a massive shock at 37 years old. This was at Easter and I stayed in for three days, had full MRI to look at all the blood vessels, loads of bloods and then neruo came to see me and said I had legions which came up from the scan and asked me to have lumbar. Now I am a REAL needle phobe so I cried! but had it done the next day. The most uncomfortable bit is when they press on the spine to work out where they are going to do it, I felt it was like a REALLY BAD MASSAGE but when they acutally did it I did not feel a thing I can honestly say that so PLEASE don’t worry about it, it sounds worse than it actually is. You will be sore for a couple of days after and it took about a three to four days with me until I felt I could walk with a propper stide instead of doing what I called the Lumbar Puncture Shuffle glad I had it done though my results came back clear when they tested at my hospital but they sent it to London for further testing and my neuro is pretty confident I have mild MS dues to episode I had and things I have had in the past so just waiting for appointment to see if I can start treatment.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you, this is scary and I have had days over the last fortnight when I have felt “yeah bring it on I am not going to let this beat me” then I have also sat down and had a bloody good cry!

Take care

Caz XX

Hi Lisa,

I am new to all this too I was sent to A&E due to numbess in my face and they thought it was a stroke which was a massive shock at 37 years old. This was at Easter and I stayed in for three days, had full MRI to look at all the blood vessels, loads of bloods and then neruo came to see me and said I had legions which came up from the scan and asked me to have lumbar. Now I am a REAL needle phobe so I cried! but had it done the next day. The most uncomfortable bit is when they press on the spine to work out where they are going to do it, I felt it was like a REALLY BAD MASSAGE but when they acutally did it I did not feel a thing I can honestly say that so PLEASE don’t worry about it, it sounds worse than it actually is. You will be sore for a couple of days after and it took about a three to four days with me until I felt I could walk with a propper stide instead of doing what I called the Lumbar Puncture Shuffle glad I had it done though my results came back clear when they tested at my hospital but they sent it to London for further testing and my neuro is pretty confident I have mild MS dues to episode I had and things I have had in the past so just waiting for appointment to see if I can start treatment.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you, this is scary and I have had days over the last fortnight when I have felt “yeah bring it on I am not going to let this beat me” then I have also sat down and had a bloody good cry!

Take care

Caz XX