Forum

More flippin' vitamins...

B12 this time. It’s just arrived in the post, so I’m sucking on a tablet of it as I type. A friend of mine was referred to the consultant I’m currently seeing, because they thought her symptoms might be MS, and it turned out to be acute vit B12 deficiency… So I thought that keeping my B12 levels high would probably be a good thing to do, and my GP agrees - will let you know how it goes! Might not do much good, but as long as it’s not doing any harm either, hmpfff, what’s another pill in the vast scheme of things?

I’ve been taking B12 for a couple of months, just in case. Sub-lingual (under the tongue) as advised. I’m not really sure what it’s supposed to do, I just thought I’d jump on the bandwagon, so to speak. So far, it’s made no difference to how I feel. I also take a high dose D3, and calcium because I think I read somewhere that calcium helps the body to absorb D3, & magnesium for stiffness/spasms. Not that magnesium made a scrap of difference either. I just wonder, am I totally wasting money??

I really hope someone can explain (please?) I’m sure I’ve read the reasoning behind each in the past but I have a brain made of Swiss cheese when it comes to dietary supplements (as well as many other things)!

Sue

i think B12 helps with remyelination to some degree

Hi, if B12 can maybe help with remyelination can someone tell me what strength of tablet I need to take & can I buy them in a chemist or do i need a health food store? Also can my GP give them to me on prescription? I hope everyone feels reasonable ok today. I am quite new on here & was diagnosed in July this year.

I’m interested in this too Helly and will wait replies with interest. They are available over the counter in chemists and health food stores. Don’t think you’ll get them in script. Well not here in the republic anyway. :slight_smile:

Forgot to add I’m a newbie to the club too. Diagnosed in May.

Hi, I take Magnesium tablets for leg spasms up to 600mgs for me to as made my leg spasms disappear when they start to come back I increase the dose,I also take calcium and vit d you need to take all three together.

1 Like

Hi,

I take 4000 mcg of vit b12. Very high dose. I would try a low dose and work up. It’s worked wonders for me. I had a really bad attack 3 and a half years ago, 15 symptoms, pre diagnosis. Did loads of research. Thought it may have been vit b12 defficiency but wasn’t. Tried it, 100mcg. Got rid of my symptoms within two week and I felt amazing. Unfortunately it was MS and I was diagnosed 8 months later. I have been using it for the last 3 and a half years and I think that I would be a lot worse without it.

I also take; vit d3 5,000 - 10,000 iu, Calcium 600mcg, Magnesium 600mcg, Omega 3 1g, Acidophilus (3 billion) and Ceylon cinnamon (1/2 tspn in boiling water).

I’m not on any DMD’s. I have triied Rebif and Copaxone but both gave bad side effects. Meant to be going on Tecfedira. I have had MS for about 9 years and I am good. I have a slight weaknesss on the left hand side. Get all the other symptoms; fatigue, confusion, etc.

I hope that this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick update; I’m now taking one tablet of B12 a day, in addition to my D3, and have noticed no difference whatsoever. Two tablets (two days) isn’t exactly a representative sample though… still undecided! At my last blood test, my vit B12 levels were fine even before I started taking the tablets - so I might give it a day or two before deciding whether its worth it. That’s the trouble with this damn thing; you can’t really tell an instant difference with anything so everything is a case of weighing up advantages & disadvantages over time…