Modafinil, worth taking?

Hi,

I read an article in the Guardian recently about someone with MS taking Modafinil and the positive effects on their condition.

I understand it is generally not available on prescription so would like to hear people’s experience and where they get it please.

The person in the article seemed to benefit in respect of lessened fatigue, feeling more and more like they were on a “best day”

Thanks

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/everyday-living/help-fatigue-please

Hi

Have a look at the link above, which is a recent thread on this board about fatigue and Modafinil.

Personally, I swear by Modafinil, but I know it is getting harder and harder to get on prescription now. It has to be pescribed by a consultant (neurologist), i.e. a GP is not authorised to prescribe it without a consultants say-so.

I wish you all the best, as fatigue is such a huge problem for many with MS.

There are also other threads relating to Modafinil on this forum, maybe you could search for them.

Dawn

Hello,

I will be very interested to see what people come back on say on taking Modafinil as I am suffering from major fatigue which is ruining my week at the moment.

Love

Martina xxx

Hello,

I will be very interested to see what people come back on say on taking Modafinil as I am suffering from major fatigue which is ruining my week at the moment.

Love

Martina xxx

There’s a long thread about Modafinil - I’ve posted on it a few times, having read that Guardian article and already having had a suggestion from my neuro that I try Modafinil to treat my excessive sleeping. I am having a pretty good time on Modafinil so far - lots more energy and less sleeping. I started on 100mg a day and went up to 200mg after 10 days. After a week of this, I was completely wired and now I’ve gone back down to 100mg and am much happier. I am now sleeping about 7 to 7.5 hours each day - down from around 10.5 hours a day at my worst.

yep well worth taking if you can get to doc to give you a perscription

yep well worth taking if you can get to doc to give you a perscription

I’ve heard about this aswell, from what people have said to me its really good!!! seeing neuro next week so going to ask him about it!! ( hopefully it doesnt react with all the other meds im on!!)

hi i have been taking modafinal for about 2 yrs i get it on repeat perscripson and after playing with the dosage eventualy i works for me

Just out of interest. Mark, what dosage did you end up on? I’m presently on 100mg a day but had a sleep after lunch and in the evening yesterday and am trying to work out how frequently I should take 200mg.

I’ve been on modafinil for more than three years. It’s been a complete lifesaver! I used to take 100mg about 10am and 100mg about 3pm, but it stopped working so well fairly recently so I’ve changed to 200mg about 11am/12pm, nothing in the afternoon. This seems to suit me better now.

Sewingchick: why not take two lots of 100mg like I used to? The 200mg pills break in half very easily and it gives you much more flexibility, e.g. you can take the afternoon dose later if you are going out that evening.

Karen x