Mobility scooter

What a weekend!!

Morning everyone. Hope you’re all well.

I want to share this because I suspect there are many “young MS ers” who are probably in a similar position to me.

I’ve just got back from a lads weekend in Benidorm. I’m 44 years old and was always very active and sporty. Ran the London Marathon twice, cycled regularly and played football.

Anyway, I digress. Being young(ish) I was hit for 6 by my dx. Call it pride/vanity, but I am very reluctant to accept any sort of assistance.

So off we went on Friday morning. I’ll admit I was a bit nervous. I’m OK walking around at home but get tired quickly.

We hit Benidorm. It was extremely hot and it really knocked me. I could hardly walk. Taxis are fine, but my mates wanted to stroll around and take in the sights (!!!).

Went home early on the Friday, feeling a bit sorry for myself. I had toyed with the idea of renting a mobility scooter, but felt I was “giving in”. My mates sat me down, told me to stop being so proud and to get a scooter. They’re not embarrassed about being seen with me, so why should I be?

Thats exactly what I need - tough love.

So I bit the bullet and got one. My weekend was transformed. We could go everywhere and anywhere which we did.

I must say, I was surprised by how tolerant and supportive everyone was. Big groups of lads on stag trips couldn’t do enough for me.

I know Benidorm is set up for people with disabilities but no one batted an eyelid at this young bloke on a scooter.

The moral of the story and my message to anyone in a similar position to me, scared of what others might think, “GET A SCOOTER”.

To a man, everyone we met showed nothing but generosity and great humour.

And a massive thank you to all my mates who gave me the confidence to do it. I love you all.

Have a good day.

Al

2 Likes

pleased to hear this, i am 57 now and was 55 when i got my head round having to use one,i am an ’ old’ woman but still i found it very hard to get my head round having to accept any help,i think its so much harder when you are younger.

my family take the mickey out of me and call me Madge ,off benidrom lol,cheeky bu****s

J x

Could be worse mate. My beloved husband starts singing the theme tune to the Banana Splits when I use mine

Seriously though, I am delighted that I took the plunge and got my scoot - I don’t need it all the time but when I do it makes so much difference to my life.

And my labarador loves that I can come out for a “walk” with dogs and husband. He trots alongside me like a pedigree carriage dog (I haven’t got the heart to tell him that that is a job for a Dalmation not a gun dog).

The Golden Retreiver isn’t too bothered though. All she wants is for someone to throw her a tennis ball

Eeee lad! That`s a brill post!

I`m often on here banging on about folk getting wheels, instead of being stuck indoors or knackered trying to join in with life. Good on yer!

pollxx

Good for you Al and good on your mates for giving you a good talking to. I’ve just been on holiday with a group of friends who looked out for me but not obviously so…except one! He wouldn’t lift me up on the bar to dance with a couple of others, he said I’d fall. There was a time he wasn’t such a spoilsport I’d had one too many and I know he was right but I don’t have to like it

Jan x

Al,

great to hear your story and it is similar to mine. I’m a proud, vain, stubborn git and absolutely refused to use a scooter and wheelchair. My wife would just shake her head at my attitude. Two years ago we went on a family holiday to Florida and I had to use a scooter for the first time. It was great, I was able to really enjoy the holiday, as were the wife and kids. I still don’t need to use a wheelchair or scooter at home but every time I’ve been away since then I have used them and it’s been great. Airport assistance is absolutely wonderful. The kids don’t bat an eyelid about me using the scooter.

I’ve also have been tremendously impressed with the kindness and thoughtfulness of complete strangers in the street, people in shops, hotels and restaurants etc, doing simple things like holding doors open. They might be little things to them, they make a massive difference to me.

I’m still a stubborn git but now I don’t dread family holidays any more and they are once again wonderful things to enjoy.

Derek

1 Like

Fantastic post Al. It was tough love from my daughter that first got me into a wheelchair.

As I type this I am waiting for the ambulance to pick me up and take me to wheelchair services to get my new wheelchair (a snazzy one that raises up!) I am so excited - it’s better than getting a new car. A car will just get you from A to B but a wheelchair will give you back a life.

Jane